Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
depth of roman formations
So.....<br>
<br>
How deep should a battle line be in order to have the opportunity for troop-rotation in an ongoing battle?<br>
<br>
since it is often written that the troops releaved each other, so there always was a "fresh" soldier at the front...<br>
<br>
greets....<br>
<br>
<p><span style="color:yellow;font-family:times new roman;font-size:medium;">M.VIB.M.<br>
V COH II<br>
LEGIO X GEMINA<br>
EX GER INF</span></p><i></i>
I'm with Ross - about the end of Herakleios' reign is a fairly good cut off point for calling the empire Roman. <p></p><i></i>
The Roman empire ended in 602. Heraclius failed to save it. <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **
The Roman Empire ended either when Constantinople fell to the Turks, or hasnt ended if you count the "holy"Roman empire along with it..........<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
There was nothing roman about the holy roman empire. It was based mostly in modern day germany and some areas further to the south. Was the empire referred more to as the byzantine empire or the byzantine roman empire. I have heard it referred to as both. As far as the end of the byzantine empire being referred to as a roman empire. I tend to agree that it ended around the 11th century. The byzantine version that lasted until the 15th century was not a roman empire. Was the byzantine empire after the fall of rome a more evenly mixture of greeks and citizens of the old asian provience instead of romans. After the fall of the west and the spreading of the roman catholic church the two regions were become more seperate and the great schism of 1054 ended the thought of Byzantine being roman, it became eastern, more like its modern compostion, without the muslim influence. The adaption of Orthodoxy as its official religion ended the roman and turned it more into a greek like area as their ties with Kiev and areas of modern day russia, before the emergence of muscovy as the dominatint area after the monguls dissapeared back to thier mysterious steppes. So to sum it all up, the byzantine roman empire failed to be roman after the great schism in 1054 in which it seprated itself from the rest of europe and became more greek than roman. <p>THERE IS NO VICTORY WITHOUT DEFEAT, AND THERE IS NO DEFEAT WITHOUT VICTORY</p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Military formations MonsGraupius 12 2,904 09-14-2014, 03:14 AM
Last Post: antiochus
  Roman Battle Formations Mid Republic to Late Rep. Bryan 89 20,146 07-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Bryan
  Depth of a marching army. ValentinianVictrix 6 2,204 03-01-2014, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Frank