Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
End of the Principate?
I'm familiar with the use of the term "Principate" with reference to the period beginning with the reign of Augustus... but I'm a little ambiguous about whether there is a date that is customarily used as its terminus point. I get the sense that at a certain point, scholars stop talking about the Principate and start talking about the "empire" but I'm not sure exactly where this point is. Can anyone clear this up for me?<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>
Hi<br>
I don't recall reading any specific definition of Prinicipate period but the general impression that I got makes me remember that the Severus emperors mark the change. Whether you start with the coming to power of Septimius or with the death of Alexander, the conclusion is, in any case, that the empire was different before and after. Before you have the good emperors and general peace, after you have havoc until Diocletian.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
The traditional date for the separation between early (Principate) and late (Dominate) empire is 284 AD, with the accession of Diocletian. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hmm, that's interesting. I think I have an idea of what sorts of things distinguish the two periods, but could you enlighten me as to the origin of the two terms? I gather that the term "Principate" comes from "princeps," one of Augustus' favorite titles, but I don't remember having run across the term "Dominate" before. (From dominus? dominium? dominator?)<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>
Dominus IIRC, but my Latin is non-existant. <p></p><i></i>
Yup, dominus (lord). <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine