Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vergina tomb artifacts may have belonged to Alexander
For anyone who is looking for the above mentioned Borza article, The Royal Macedonian Tombs and the Paraphernalia of Alexander the Great. You can order it online from JSTOR HERE.

It's $10US. (So with the way the economy has been going, what is that now, about 1 Euro? :lol: )

As for the subject of this thread I'm keeping an open mind. And I would be ecstatic if it was true.

Hey, my first post!
Rodger Olinger

There is rest and healing in the contemplation of antiquities. - Mark Twain
Thanks and welcome Tantalus! With the way the economy has been going,even with that price anyone would make his best to find it free. Any chances?
I had first heard about the theory that the tomb was Alexander's by a Greek researcher who has written a book and also has a website with interesting info. Search for "The Royal Tomb II in Vergina reveal Alexander the Great". I was not totally convinced by him,but he had some points. And the recent articles may prove him right about some of the artifacts.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I am guessing there is as much chance of this being Alexander the Great's tomb as there is that I am the reincarnation of Gaius Julius Caesar! :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I am guessing there is as much chance of this being Alexander the Great's tomb as there is that I am the reincarnation of Gaius Julius Caesar! :?
Indeed. At issue is not whether Alexander III lies there. What is reasonably certain is that it is not Philip II, and probably Philip III Arrhidaeus. Which means that the tomb has eastern influences (lion hunt fresco again), which would not have been there if Alexander hadn't conquered the Middle East. So in a sense you can "see Alexander", even though his tomb was near the Shallalat Gardens in Alexandria.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Is this the same Phillip who was involved in wars with Rome at the time of the Punic warII?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Dohhhhhh, I can be pretty thick sometimes...... :oops: of course it was.... :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Which means that the tomb has eastern influences (lion hunt fresco again), which would not have been there if Alexander hadn't conquered the Middle East
The eastern influences are actually much more that that,but lay in numerous details that even Andronikos could not explain. The amazing thing is that it is possible some of the objects in the tomb might have been Alexander's himself.
What about the fresco. Couldn't it represent Alexander as the main character of the hunt? After all,Philip III didn't take part in the campaign, and perhaps was not capable of hunting. But such details don't matter in a king's death I guess.
http://tdpapazois.gr/english/alexander.htm It has some info that not all of it may be reliable, but still worth a reading.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Dang, I thought someone misspelled Virginia.lol. Interesting read none the less.
Valete,
Owain/Cicero
a.k.a. Dave Kufner

QUI DESIDERAT PACEM PRAEPARAT BELLUM

<a class="postlink" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Segontium/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Segontium/
Since Arrhidaeus is one of those historical figures who drew a bad hand in life, I think this is rather fitting. There's no chance Invincible Alexander will be forgotten, after all, but folks like Arrhidaeus tend to be.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Quote:OLD NEWS. The crucial article was written by Olga Palagia (University of Athens), who in "Hephaestion's Pyre and the Royal Hunt of Alexander" (included in Bosworth/Baynham, Alexander the Great in Fact and Fiction [1999]) proved that the decoration of the Vergina tomb postdated the contact with the Near East.

Absolutely. The book is well worth the read for the other material as much as for this. Further, Green (Classical Bearings – “The Macedonian Connectionâ€
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
Paralus wrote:-
[quote]Diodorus clearly – and more than once – refers to Alexander’s shield in this action as “lighterâ€
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:In Diodorus' day (writing some time after 59 BC), the association the pelte with arms "in the Macedonian fashion" was well known, and the Aspis had long since disappeared.

I'm afraid that argument - nice as it seems - won't quite run. If Diodorus, writing in the second half of the first century BC, associates Macedonians – including their king – with being armed in the Macedonian fashion (thus pelte armed), what then of Curtius Rufus? Why might he correctly pick the terminology for a piece of armour “long(er) since disappearedâ€
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
Quote:I'd be curious as to what the German text on Macedonian shields has to say .....anyone know/read it ?
I guess you mean Der makedonische Schild from Katerini Liampi
I am trying to get a copy, the book is out of print. Let you know when I got it.
Kallimachos a.k.a. Kurt

Athina Itonia
[Image: smallsun1.gif]
[url=http://www.hetairoi.de:4a9q46ao][/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Massive marble tomb dating to Alexander\'s time Theodosius the Great 8 3,468 11-16-2014, 07:40 AM
Last Post: Paralus
  Vergina Cuirass - Measurements rocktupac 20 5,093 08-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer
  Famous Vergina "Sarissa Head" Metal Composition MeinPanzer 9 2,210 03-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias