Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Romaniam
Upon my recent trip to Roma we went on a tour of the city. We walked through the Paletine hill, the forum, saw treve fountain, the pantheon, the colloseum and others. My two questions are<br>
<br>
1.) After going through the Forum and seeing the Senate building across the path there were a lot of ruins, is that where the well of the Comita was. Also if anyone has maybe a picture of what the forum might look have looked like in the republican days, or maybe knows a site that can help me with that it would be most appreciative.<br>
<br>
2.) This question would probably be best answered by someone who has lived in Roma or is from Roma. Up on the Paletine Hill next to the ruins of the Emperors palace there is a white stone building, with what looks like a fascist eagle on its front. Was that a headquarters or a building for the fascist government of Mussolini.<br>
<br>
3.) My final question is what is up with the Italian police not allowing you to sit within a few blocks of certain buildings, such as the building dedicated to the soldier. <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Nil recitas et vis, Mamerce, poeta videri.
Quidquid vis esto, dummodo nil recites!- Martial
You can try here for the forum, though like all sites it does not focus on the republican appearance:<br>
<br>
sights.seindal.dk/sight/4...manum.html<br>
<br>
The changes made in the comitium area are visible here:<br>
<br>
sights.seindal.dk/sight/1...itium.html<br>
<br>
I like this site:<br>
<br>
www.quiknet.com/~fifi/index50.html<br>
<br>
For good drawings showing the development of the forum try "The Ancient City" by Connolly & Dodge, or "The Ancient Roman City" by Stambaugh.<br>
<br>
Shaun <p></p><i></i>
hmm i only remember 1 white stone building near the forum romanum and that is the monument to the unknown soldier (the enormous white building near the senate). <p>-------------------------------------------------------<br>
Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings -- they did it by killing all those who opposed them.<br>
<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
<br>
<br>
No buildings at all for the fascist hedquarters or government there in the roman Forum (just projects). You probably saw the Vittoriano building where the unknown soldier is buried; but the Vittoriano was built to celebrate the king Vittorio Emanuele II in 1911, 11 years before of the first fascist government. Hey if you was there in June 2003, you lost the exhibition of roman military equipment I organized just there:<br>
<br>
[url=http://users.libero.it/sabsab/vitt2003.htm" target="top]users.libero.it/sabsab/vitt2003.htm[/url]<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Titus<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Titus,<br>
<br>
thank You for displaying the link to Your exhibition; I had lost the link ... For me noticeable especially the two very short crest holders on the image with the original helmet parts. The crest holder top right is so short that the crista could lie directly on the helmet, as is shown on many ancient Roman depictions. I always thought these illustrations were referring to carelessnesses of the stone-cutters, but now I must admit, how near they came to reality.<br>
<br>
Uwe <p></p><i></i>
Greets - Uwe
<br>
True, another question I do myself: why so thin? It's hard to believe that they can hold a (after all heavy) crest as we know, have you seen the first one on the left?<br>
<br>
When I had some mock battle with the crest mounted on the helmet, the holder was damaged almost immediately...<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Titus <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

That was the building I was talking about, the unknown soldier. It is just down the street from the Collosieum. The other building that I thought was a fascist building, was not in the forum, but up on the Palatine hill across from the forum. It was right next to the ruins of the emperors palace. It had a facist eagle right above the closed door. And why are people not allowed to sit in front of a monument in Rome, I and a friend was sitting on a curb several feet in front of the building to the unknown soldier and the police forced us to get up. <p></p><i></i>
"Freedom was at stake- freedom, which whets the courage of brave men"- Titus Livius

Well my experience, to take photos on the Forum wearing Roman gear...<br>
<br>
we even went up to the director of the Forum, showed our clothes... but werent allowed to.....<br>
<br>
Then we were shadowed by some official guards mumbling in their walkie talkies...... for the rest of the afternoon.. untill we reached the palatine..... bummer! next time we'll just sneak in and do it........<br>
<br>
Italians are not Romans... they are a mixture of visigoths and other barbarian tribes....<br>
<br>
hehehehehehe<br>
<br>
<p><span style="color:yellow;font-family:times new roman;font-size:medium;">M.VIB.M.<br>
V COH II<br>
LEGIO X GEMINA<br>
EX GER INF</span></p><i></i>
That is true about the barbarians. I had a police problem in the forum. We were chased out of the forum by a grumpy woman security guard and her 5 armed security friends, all because we arrived 5 minutes after they closed. If they were armed like American police I would have gone right through them, but they had sub machine guns so we ran away. <p></p><i></i>

<br>
<br>
I think that these things happen everywhere in the world and anyway we Italians are THE Italians. NONE can call himself ROMAN today, you too. Do have respect of us, or you'll taste my gladius.<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>all because we arrived 5 minutes after they closed. If they were armed like American police I would have gone right through them, but they had sub machine guns so we ran away. <hr><br>
<br>
Whaaat?!<br>
<br>
Where did you leave your brain? I'd like to see if you really should be able to do so. "Sub machine guns"? I think that some good boxes on the ears are enough for you.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

Quote:</em></strong><hr>Italians are not Romans... they are a mixture of visigoths and other barbarian tribes....<hr><br>
<br>
Vibius,<br>
if this assertion is an ethnical analysis, I'm afraid it's a little weak. Evidences and documents, please!<br>
If not, prepare yourself to taste, after the gladius of Titus, the mine too... We barbarians don't like chatter... and we're genetically proud<br>
Optime vale. <p>---------<br>
Fecisti patriam diversis gentibus unam;<br>
profuit iniustis te dominante capi;<br>
dumque offers victis proprii consortia iuris,<br>
Urbem fecisti, quod prius orbis erat.<br>
(Rutilius Namatianus - De Reditu Suo, I, 63-66) </p><i></i>
Flavius
aka Giuseppe Cascarino
Decima Legio
Roma, Italy
Always knew i couls still stir up the Forum!!!<br>
<br>
Italians, Dutch, Germans, whatever.........<br>
<br>
we are all Europeans...........<br>
<br>
Romans were our ancestors..........<br>
<br>
Governments are the real cause of trouble..........<br>
<br>
especially those who do not treat their heritage properly...<br>
<br>
best wishes!<br>
<br>
<p><span style="color:yellow;font-family:times new roman;font-size:medium;">M.VIB.M.<br>
V COH II<br>
LEGIO X GEMINA<br>
EX GER INF</span></p><i></i>
First of all, if you have ever seen the over weight idiots that call themselves American police and think they are better than everyone else, sorry if I offend any body, but most of the police in the chicago area resemble that description, with thier little pistols. Then you go to Rome where the police carry very big guns and look very intimidating.<br>
<br>
Second, I did not leave my brains behind when attempting to get into the forum with a buddy of mine, we are used to being able to compromise to get into places after they close, and that is something that just doesn't happen in Rome, so its a culture difference. It also had been a very long day as we had walked from the Vatican to the Pantheon to the Trevi Fountain and then tried to hit the forum before it closed. So I was not being an idiot, which does happen on occasion, as I do have a very bad scottish temper.<br>
<br>
And thirdly, not everybody here has ancestors from Rome, I have no roman connections, my family is mostly from Germania,Netherlands, scandanvia and scottland, so no roman ancestery.<br>
<br>
Peace<br>
<br>
Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus <p></p><i></i>

<br>
That's another matter and don't involve the Romans in your useless considerations.<br>
Moreover it's not an apology for your offence.<br>
If you want stir up the Forum, use some intelligence and keep yourself your stupid HEHEHEHEs.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

<br>
Gnaeus, can you only imagine how many tourists come in Roma? If any tourist asked for a "tailored" treatment what do you guess it should happen? Or you pretend that all the Forum staff and security make as your and your buddy nurses aftertime, to satisfy your whims?<br>
<br>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>And thirdly, not everybody here has ancestors from Rome, I have no roman connections, my family is mostly from Germania,Netherlands, scandanvia and scottland, so no roman ancestery.<hr><br>
<br>
Are you sure? And after all, seen you don't care of this ancestry, I'm happy if you have not roman connections. <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini