Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spanish shield designs
Hi folks

being an anorak wargamer and wanting to paint my new Ancient Spanish army correctly, I decided to look for information on Spanish shield designs. Can I find any? Well, yes: one. It's the one with the 'quartered' lines and the 'squiggle' in each of the four 'corners'. Does anybody out there have any more information? Please??

In desperation .....
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Hello Ian

when you talk about ancient spanish army, are you talking about celtics, iberian, lusitanian (etc) tribes? Or do you mean other kind of army, maybe a medieval one?

regards
Javier Sánchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
Quote:Hello Ian

when you talk about ancient spanish army, are you talking about celtics, iberian, lusitanian (etc) tribes? Or do you mean other kind of army, maybe a medieval one?

regards

D'oh!! Trust me ....! :lol:

I'm talking Iberian types. Probably c.300-100 BC. What I'm trying to recreate is one of the Spanish armies that would have fought against the Romans - so maybe I should ask for information about the Lusitanians as well, then I can decide which one to focus on.

BTW, thanks for the quick reply!
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
As far as I know, there were two kinds of shields:

A oval shield, inspired by celts (the famous one with quartered lines) and other small and round one called caetra .

the design of the oval shield you know is based on this:

[Image: imagen1ei8.jpg]

This is the "Vaso de los Guerreros" (warrior glass) found in San Miguel de Liria. As you can see there is a strong influence of celtics in armors, shields and other weapons.

Anyway in iberian culture weapons were made to measure for each warrior, and there were a strong link between the warrior and his weapons, so it is possible that shield designs would have been different between families or possibily each warrior choose his own design.

In this pic you can see a reproduction of an iberian shield, armor and weapons shown in an exposition about this theme in Palencia:

[Image: 1342442678e5ca01a084qn6.jpg]

Anyway I'm not an expert about it, so if I am wrong or somebody knows more about it, please let us know! I'm very interested on it

I hope it could be useful to you!
Javier Sánchez

"A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient"
[Image: 76946975ce3.png]
ok well i have a shield and i want to know more about it?
is there anybody that can help me

here is a picture at this link
http://www.designtoscano.com/product/code/NG31500.do
that isnt the exact one i have but is very close
my sheild weighs 18.6 pounds
and was giving to me about 35 years ago
Steve at a company called LBMS has several ranges of Ancient Spanish transfers; these are for Gripping Beast miniatures. I don't know how much research there is behind them, but they are pretty and I use them on my minis:-

http://www.littlebigmenstudios.com/cata ... 4fb8a6abac

Cheers, Simon
Simon

Simon M. aka BigRedBat
I posted an image of a bunch of Iberian shields over in this thread. I hope they are useful to you. I can't vouch for their authenticity or the scholarship involved because they were created before I joined the team as Art Lead,, but I am fairly certain most of them are accurate. Smile
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.
A gentleman posted some more Spanish (Iberian) shield designs here: <!-- l <a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?p=230405#p230405">viewtopic.php?p=230405#p230405<!-- l
Michael D. Hafer [aka Mythos Ruler, aka eX | Vesper]
In peace men bury their fathers. In war men bury their sons.