Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
According to this find, Caesar looked like...
... George Bush!!!

[url:3mw4hmpb]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1954876/Divers-find-bust-of-Julius-Caesar-in-Rhone-River.html[/url]
Aka
Christoph
What a find!

Perhaps they will uncover even more impressive bits of Roman history.

As to the resemblance...

I much prefer this image of Julius

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Which brings up an interesting topic: How much can we really rely on busts representing what a real person actually looked like? These two busts look like two totally different people to me. Maybe it's just the angle the newly found Arles bust was photographed, but still...
It's interesting, that it's probably the oldest bust of JC found, so are the ones we are so used for highly idealized representations?
Aka
Christoph
Indeed so!

The coins look different too.

We might assume that the earlier bust is the more accurate, perhaps even taken from life, yet perhaps that sculptor was less gifted at capturing Caesar's features so that bust is no more accurate than the later ones we all know so well.

I doubt this issue can every be settled with any absolute certainty.

Or am I wrong on this? :?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I have raised the point of just who this may have been under ancient civ talk, I would say it is not Caesar but Sulla.
Brian Stobbs
Here is a well know bust of Sulla, though I think not the one you are referring to.

However your idea raises yet another question -- why do they think this is a bust of Caesar? They say it is of the founder of the city, who was Julius Caesar, but give no information as to why they arrived at this conclusion.

I think we need more information. Even so these discoveries are exciting and we can hope for more. Smile

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Wow. He really looks like someone but I can't quite put my finger on it. I was thinking Ian Holm but not sure now.
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
My guess is he is one of the later emperors, perhaps claudius...?
it seems too dissimilar to all the other representations of Caesar to me
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I'd sooner think it's ol' Caesar. there's surely some similiarity but Sulla's hairline is quite different and I'd say his cheekbone is way more accentuated.
[Image: prim047bcaesarvssulla08ev7.jpg]
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Those three busts all have similarities don't they, the bow of the lip, lines around the mouth, pronounced earlobes... The Sulla David posted looks totally different!
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
I always thought caesar was baldheaded...
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
I don't really know why they can be so sure either, at this point. I think the bust looks a lot more like some representations of Claudius than JC, except for the hairline.
Aka
Christoph
Different ages!

The Rhone bust is younger.. hairline not so far back, jawline crisp

The Casear bust is jowly, cheeks sunken, wrinkles around eyes are deeper, hairline seriously receded!

Even if they both aren't Caesar the Rhone bust is definitley younger
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
I think I may just change my mind and go along with Christoph, it's not anyone important at all it is George Bush!!
Brian Stobbs
I wonder how can they date something found in a river :?
And know that he is Caesar... :?

Baldness is not a very used archaelogical "proof" :lol:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.