Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
early pila
Those of you who are up on the latest in the archeological research, what's the current view (or views) about the date for the introduction of the pilum in the Roman army. Along the same lines, what's the current view on what (if any) outside influences caused them to adopt this weapon in lieu of the conventional spear (hasta) or lighter versions of a javelin (hasta velitaris?).<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>
You should check out "The Homogenisation of Military Equipment Under the Roman Republic", (<em>Digressus</em> Supplement 1 (2003) pp60-85) by Michael T. Burns (available as a pdf [url=http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/classics/digressus/articles/a050703.pdf" target="top]here[/url]). He states (p63-4) that the Roman use of javelins came with the maniple system sometime during the mid-4th century BCE, but also that "the javelin, and early forms of <em>pila</em>, had been commonly used by the peoples of Italy since the fifth century, and we must assume that methods of fighting which exploited the advantages of these weapons were also practised" (p65). His basic argument is that the scutum and pilum were adopted in response to their (apparently successful) use by the Samnites during the 4th C.<br>
<br>
I'm not sure if A. Small (2000) "The use of javelins in central and south Italy in the 4th century BC" in D. Ridgway <em>et al.</em> (eds), <em>Ancient Italy in its Mediterranean Setting</em> would be of any help, but I can see if we've got it in the library here. <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Thanks very much Danno! The Burns article was helpful and very interesting. The paradigm shift of sorts that he recomends is one that I've long suspected was needed in understanding these transition issues. The other one sounds like just the thing. I'll have to check the local college libraries to see if one of them has it. (Unfortunately, since there are no major research universities nearby, it could be the proverbial "wild goose chase"...<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>
The 2nd book is in the library here, I should be able to have a look at it at some point, possibly photocopy it... <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Well, if you can get around to making a copy of it for me, I'd be in your debt. I, of course, would be more than happy to defray any costs that you would incur in making the copies. What's more, hopefully we can connect at Roman Army Days on Saturday, making the question of how to get it to me moot.<br>
<br>
Thanks much for all your help so far!<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>