Has anyone read this book before?

[Image: 51_tn.jpg]

An Archaeology of Identity
Soldiers and Society in Later Roman Britain
Andrew Gardner (Author)
312 pp. / 6.00 x 9.00 / May, 2007
Hardback (978-1-59874-226-8)
Paperback (978-1-59874-227-5)

Quote:What happened to Roman soldiers in Britain during the decline of the empire in the 4th and 5th centuries? Did they withdraw, defect, or go native? More than a question of military history, this becomes the starting point for Andrew Gardner’s incisive exploration of social identity in Roman Britain, in the Roman Empire, and in ancient society. Drawing on the sociological theories of Anthony Giddens and others, Gardner shapes an approach which focuses on the central role of practice in the creation and maintenance of identities—nationalist, gendered, class, and ethnicity. This theory is then tested against the material remains of Roman soldiers in Britain, to show how patterning of stratigraphy, architecture, and artifacts supports his theoretical construct. The result is a retelling of the story of Late Roman Britain sharply at odds with the traditional text-driven histories and a theory of human action which offers much to current debates across the social sciences.

"Identity in Roman Britain was not simple and it was not set in stone. One notable example was that of the Roman soldier during the decline of the Empire in the fourth and fifth centuries. As lines of authority collapsed and he became less and less relevant, the Roman solider had a number of available options, including withdrawing, defecting to another armed force, or going native. Gardner (archaeology of the Roman Empire, University College, London) makes good use of the theories of Giddens and others to examine how people create and maintain their identities in terms of nationality, gender, class and ethnicity. He then compares these theories to practice as expressed by portable and architectural material culture and texts. The result is quite different than we expected about the fates of these complex identities and serves as a model for more comparisons of identity with artifacts."
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
No, but it sounds fascinating!
It does sound interesting.

I had assumed, perhaps rashly, that the army was called back to Rome and simply abandoned Britain. Of course even as I write this that notion seems too simple and simplistic an explanation of what happened as the Empire receded.

Looks like another book for the ever expanding list.

Time, or the lack there of, is the ultimate enemy of us all... :?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:It does sound interesting.
Looks like another book for the ever expanding list.
Narukami

Thanks for yet another book that I need to buy. It's not an 'ever-expanding list': it's a never-ending list!! Cry
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Hi Robert

I have the book which I bought because I thought it might help with what I am working on with regards to clothing, in fact there was as usual very little but this is a book based on archaeological finds in Britain so perhaps that is not surprising.

Moreover if you are after a book with lots of pictures that is something you can quickly glance through or use to make things, forget it. There is one drawing of a plumbata and lots of graphs and charts of find spots and lots and lots of archaeo-techno babble. It will therefore require a serious sit down and read and unfortunately at the moment I have not been able to do that myself.

However I did notice Andrew Broznya mentioned in the acknowledgements so perhaps he might be able to provide more information.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:.There is one drawing of a plumbata and lots of graphs and charts of find spots and lots and lots of archaeo-techno babble.
I may be wrong, but I think Andrew Gardner is a "Theoretical Archaeology Group" aficionado. Hence the non-traditional approach. :wink:
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:I may be wrong, but I think Andrew Gardner is a "Theoretical Archaeology Group" aficionado. Hence the non-traditional approach.

I think you are right Duncan. The references to clothing certainly seemed to owe much to Simon James' article in a TRAC publication.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote: if you are after a book with lots of pictures
Quote:Who, me? Big Grin

Graham Sumner:3gkhjz27 Wrote:It will therefore require a serious sit down
Sounds like a very good book. Thanks Graham.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well... I have ordered it...I have no will power in these matters ... 750 books at last audit Sad
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Hi Guys,

I designed the book cover, and have a copy of the book. I read the first 2 or 3 chapters, and skimmed through the rest. It seems to be less a description of Late Roman Britain, and more a critique of how archaeologists and historians approach the subject. Focused on archaeological theory, methodology and practice, I think the book's main use would be in understanding how other authors come to their conclusions.

If any one has specific questions about what's in the book, I'd be happy to help.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.redrampant.com">www.redrampant.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Society\'s Imago Epictetus 6 1,810 12-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Alexand96
  Roman Military Research Society-new articles Caballo 20 6,145 08-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Crispvs
  Soldier and Society in Roman Egypt Richard Alston Anonymous 0 1,169 05-03-2002, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Anonymous