Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial Cult
Does anyone know of any evidence for the Imperial Cult (emperor worship) among the Roman army? I'm especially interested in archaeological and/or epigraphical evidence for shrines in castra.<br>
<br>
IVSTINVS <p></p><i></i>
How about the imaginifers? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
i remember an archaeological reference in Ritterling to a shrine, i´ll look it up for you. <p>-------------------------------------------------------<br>
Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings -- they did it by killing all those who opposed them.<br>
<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
<br>
Octavianus Augustus practically began the imperial cult in the Army, reserving to him (and not more to the generals) any military victory merit as considering himself as the <em>Numen</em> that inspired his generals to win, and consequentially, any triumph in Roma.<br>
<br>
Especially in the severian times, the imperial cult was intense in the Army: upon an altar at a raetian frontier military camp, the imperial family members is mentioned before the other Gods. The same at Lambesi. In the Dura Europos military feasts calendar the imperial godnesses substituted the other Gods excepting for Iupiter, Iuno and Minerva. For example in that calendar, on May 7 were celebrated the Diva Iulia Mesa birthday through a pray session.<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Titus <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cult of the eagles Jona Lendering 8 2,232 11-30-2009, 05:31 AM
Last Post: Epictetus