Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What metal should you use to make a helmet?
I hope I'm not annoying yet with all my questions, but if you were to make a helmet/armor, does anyone know what type of steel should be used, an how thick it should be?
thnx!
I am using 14g mild with brass and copper trim, fully welded construction with rivets holding on the trim. But I am going to get hit in the head a lot so accuracy in materials must take a backseat to keeping my brain safe from further damage. Big Grin
Chris McVey
If you look at real helmets, you will see they are made with a thickness of metal we modern folk would consider wholly inadequate. Remember, they were not trying to stop bullets, but muscle powered weapons.
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
And SCA helmets are overbuilt compared to historical counterparts.

I might get hit 10 times in the helmet in an hour (yeah, I aint all that good) and do that 4 or 5 times a month. A real helmet might get hit 10 times in its entire useful life before being replaced.

I am also getting hit with a light blunt stick, not a sword edge. Entirely different then historic, so for your purposes it will probably be easier to fabricate then mine.
Chris McVey
For a reasonably historically accurate helmet, mild steel is the usual accepted material, or brass. My helmet was made of 18 gauge steel (c. 1mm) and it seems to weigh a little more than most originals. It also seems to be plenty strong for general reenacting purposes. If you are trying to dish out a helmet bowl in one piece, it's probably better to start with something a little thicker (16 gauge), since the metal will get thinner as you go. But if you are *raising* it (hammering from the outside), it will get *thicker* towards the edges! So a lot depends on your techniques.

18 gauge is also a good average for most armor. Lorica segmentata shoulder sections tended to be a little thicker than that, while the girdle sections were a little thinner.

Yeah, original armor and helmets are often surprisingly thin and light!

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
And if you're heating it while working it, you have to consider the scale loss- so definitely start thicker than you expect to end up with.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metal Spinning Imperial Gallic Helmet nightwork 0 1,370 08-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Last Post: nightwork
  How do I make a horse hair helmet crest Naomi Lazarus 3 9,068 03-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Forty-One