Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruling RAT
In the well over seven years that this community exists, we have seen tremendous growth in membership and interest in its main topics. It has been a great joy to see this development for the original founder and the administration team. But apart from some slight tweaks and the addition of the 'E-bay' rule and some personal changes in the team, we still administrate this board with the same rules and customs as was done in 2001.

One might say: "It ain't broken, don't fix it" and that's true. A board like this works well with a simple set of rules and a small moderator team that steers the wayward back into the flock. There is a bit more of a 'dictatorial' approach that some might like and as long as domain and site are owned by private individuals, it's likely to stay that way.

But what I think should be addressed is the obvious great involvement that many RATers feel with this forum. It is what it is because of the entire membership, not because of the rules and authority of a small team. I'd like to discuss the option of giving some or all members a greater say in how the site is run. I'd like to point out at the same time, that I'd also like to hear ideas on what duties would come with the privilege. In other words, this should not become a free-for-all to complain about moderators and rules. Love 'em or loathe 'em, the RAT moderators put in a lot of their free time to help run this site. For just that they deserve everyone's thanks and respect.

So, thoughts?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I'd like to propose a Triumph for the RAT community as a whole. And if we can persuade Jasper to have his face painted red and be dragged on a chariot around Nijmegen with a slave holding a laurel wreath , so much the better.....

It is a great community- the knowledge, the courtesy, the humour, and the self policing. Thanks to all. And happy to help out if necessary.

And if the mods are sometimes dictatorial- well, isn't that a very authentic Roman government system?
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Why yes, of course it is....

And we have very Roman ways of dealing with dictators too!! :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Amen to all,
A Triumph is indeed well deserved for our Leaders. If nothing else, Jasper could for a week or so change his avatar's face to red!
So "whatta"ya think? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Larry Mager
a.k.a. Vitruvius
Larry A. Mager
Quote:So, thoughts?
Sign me up. I'm spending too many hours as it is on this forum, I might as well take some extra duties on board. Big Grin

Quote:I'd like to propose a Triumph for the RAT community as a whole. And if we can persuade Jasper to have his face painted red and be dragged on a chariot around Nijmegen with a slave holding a laurel wreath , so much the better.....
We could do that. I know guys with horses, does anyone have a chariot? :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I can support the chariot. The Museumpark Orientalis has just rebuild their.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Guys, on behalf of all the team, thanks for the compliments, but really, I AM trying to fish for suggestions on how the way things are run could be improved through giving members more of a say in things.

Mind you, this is not something we're likely to do a lot, so "Maitland, now, now's your time!"
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Well,at least for myself,I never felt I was restricted to say my opinion openly,and maybe because lately there were a lot of discussions about the new RAT,I think we do have the oppostunity to express ourselves.
Perhaps a particular thread or sections where such discussions would take place in the new RAT? But perhaps there is already one and I don't know :roll:
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
How about some kind of vetting process for the Marketplace - and no I do not mean that this should be restrictive or overly protective of RAT's established Traders and Artesans (Jupiter bless and protect them!). A lot of excellent work has already been done by various RAT members in acheiving greater authenticity with commercialy manufactured products (setting aside production quality control issues which RAT cannot really assist with other than voting with our feet as it were!). In some instances those suppliers have even made some of the new and improved products available direct to RAT members at discounted prices. BUT I really feel that we need to exercise a little more caution when new manufacturers or suppliers approach RAT for "guidance". Perhaps some kind of vetting committee could work in our favour where such manufacturers are required to approach RAT and present their "credentials" and discuss their development plans prior to being allowed to just post "How do I make a Gallic Z helmet" on the boards? In this way we might actually get new products developed and not more of the potentially already oversubscribed products being churned out?

I realise that this might appear to be somewhat negative and overly protective, but in my opinion RAT is a truly unique resource that needs some basic protection from the less than scrupulous out in the big bad world. But then maybe you all feel that you know a good egg from a bad one, in which case I'll just shut up!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Hi Barry,

good point you make here and I second what you are saying re members obviously signing up for business/economical reasons rather than private interest.
I will sing the"Three-fold Amen" to all the above AND vote yes to the new vetting procedure as well because I, too dislike strictly commercial interests getting involved with the Board. Since we are an international group, we cannot be accused of being nationalistic or isolationist, I however, would rather deal and buy from my fellow enthusiasts. I suppose my P.O.V. could be considered rather provincial, but I just have no interest in getting shafted by a mega-corp who is in it for the money.
Comments anyone?

Respectfully,
Vitruvius
a.k.a. Larry Mager
Larry A. Mager
Some quick thoughts....

I don't think that we should be vetting Merchants. Too much of what we do is interpretation and opinion.

Buyer beware.... but... I believe that a Merchant in order to receive free space in RAT's Marketplace should have an online store, independent of RAT .. no conflicts of interest, no endorsements

AND.. the condition for having a free ad space is an understanding that RAT members be allowed to critique the Merchant's products.. a free and open discussion of historic accuracy, quality of the merchandise only

A prohibition of public discussion of problems or complaints between a Merchant and a customer. I don't think the RAT owners or Mods want that liability...

No rating system either.

Perhaps a discussion section in a Merchants section of Marketplace : "Customer's Opinions and Remarks"

Seperate the Merchants from the Member's section in Marketplace.

Hibernicus
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Quote:... but really, I AM trying to fish for suggestions on how the way things are run could be improved through giving members more of a say in things.

I am new here, and the following is a suggestion that may not be plausible, but when I first came and looked at the site I did think it might be helpful if there were specific period subforums in the Research Arena.

For example - in the Roman Military History & Archaeology Forum there could be subforums for the different periods. I am aware that it might sometimes be difficult to keep a thread in a specific area - particularly if the subject discussed is something like the one on 'what is your favourite general', but that is my suggestion for the day - hope its not too ridiculous.

Kathleen
Catus/Kathleen
"TOUCH~NOT~THE~CATT~BOUT~A~GLOVE"
[CLAN MOTTO]

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam"
(I will either find a way or make one)
Hannibal Barca (c. 247-183 BC)
Quote:A prohibition of public discussion of problems or complaints between a Merchant and a customer. I don't think the RAT owners or Mods want that liability...

If a merchant was continually failing to deliver what is advertised, promised or offered then why should that not be expressed on the board? Surely RAT could have some kind of legal disclaimer along the lines of "opinions expressed are not those of the RAT owners/administrators.." - seems pretty straightforward to me? But then I am not a lawyering type.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote: A lot of excellent work has already been done by various RAT members in acheiving greater authenticity with commercialy manufactured products ...... In some instances those suppliers have even made some of the new and improved products available direct to RAT members at discounted prices.

I have worked hard (BTW not for pay) to help get Daniyal Steelcrafts up to speed on a number of quality items and improve their sales. DSC has also been working closely with a number of the quality oriented vendors that have subforums in the RAT. They also offered direct sale discounts of their new Gallic A helmet which was developed with the help of RAT members thru the Marketplace forum.

Now all rise as I about about to preach from the "Reenactor bible"
the XX Legion online handbook:

The reenactor gospel according to Matthew (Amt): "Daniyal Steelcrafts in India has begun production of an excellent Gallic A helmet in tinned bronze or steel. The helmet comes with chinstraps and a liner kit is also available. "

I expect RAT members who want to buy quality gear will want to be in the know when DSC has new products available. Esp if a RAT discount is involved!
John Kaler MSG, USA Retired
Member Legio V (Tenn, USA)
Staff Member Ludus Militus https://www.facebook.com/groups/671041919589478/
Owner Vicus and Village: https://www.facebook.com/groups/361968853851510/