Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
??? find of (nearly) complete Soldier in Eastern Europe ???
Quote: Hmm, I heard it a little differently--might have been in one of his articles in Military Illustrated. He was looking at artifacts from a dig, though I don't think it was Masada. I seem to recall it was Gamala, but not sure. Anyway, there was stuff like a pugio hilt and a helmet cheekpiece, plus a box full of rusty junk which the the staff didn't think was very important. But he pulled out Corbridge style lobed hinges and other fittings, enough for at least a whole collar/shoulder section of a Corbridge lorica. They luckily had a copy of Robinson's book there, and when he pointed out what was there, the staff got a lot more excited. I don't know if this was all part of the now-famous Gamala lorica or a different piece.

Geez, at least I HOPE we're talking about the same event, here!!

Matthew

Yes, this is the Gamala cuirass with its (so far) unique sliding rivets.

Guy Stiebel has studied this in detail and was kind enough to show me bits of the real thing as well as photos (I seem to recall) of it in situ.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Sliding rivets? :?

So is there a Report of the find available anywhere?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:So is there a Report of the find available anywhere?
Supposed to be end of 2008: see Guy Stiebel's post here.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Sliding rivets would be a shock. I don't know much about medieval armor but IIRC sliding rivets began to appear in some of the highly advanced forms of Western European plate armor in the 15th century, but weren't widely used until the 16th century. From what I understand, sliding rivets were all about increasing flexibility and ease of movement, so I guess on a segmentata it would be quite logical.
Quote:Hmm, I heard it a little differently--might have been in one of his articles in Military Illustrated.
Matthew

Matt (anyone?) do you have these articles? Or at least a photocopy of them??
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)