Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
book detailing the column of Marcus Aurelius?
Does anyone know of a book that has photographs of the scenes on the column of Marcus Aurelius? I know of books about Trajan's column and want to know if there is a comparable one about Marcus Aurelius' column.

Thanks
L. Cornelius Scaeva (Jim Miller)
Legio VI VPF

"[The Romans understood] it is not walls that protect men but men that protect walls" - Strabo
Ave Scaeva !

I know of no books that have many photographs of the MA column. But one would think there is one written in Italian at the very least. Maybe our Italian members can comment on this.

Do you know about this website that has very high resolution photos of the MA column ?

http://rubens.anu.edu.au/raider7/panora ... index.html

Hope it helps you in the meantime.

Vale,

~Theodosius
Jaime
John Scheid and Valérie Huet, La colonne Aurélienne: autour de la colonne Aurélienne (2000)

C. Caprino, et al., La colonna di Marco Aurelio (1955)

What you really want to see is E. Petersen, et al., Die Marcus-säule auf Piazza Colonna in Rom (1896), showing the reliefs before the damage caused by modern pollution. The two enormous volumes of plates are almost as big as the column!

Quite a few of the more interesting reliefs from Die Marcus-säule are reproduced in A.R. Birley, Marcus Aurelius: A Biography (rev. ed. 1987).

R
Quote:John Scheid and Valérie Huet, La colonne Aurélienne: autour de la colonne Aurélienne (2000)

C. Caprino, et al., La colonna di Marco Aurelio (1955)

What you really want to see is E. Petersen, et al., Die Marcus-säule auf Piazza Colonna in Rom (1896), showing the reliefs before the damage caused by modern pollution. The two enormous volumes of plates are almost as big as the column!

Quite a few of the more interesting reliefs from Die Marcus-säule are reproduced in A.R. Birley, Marcus Aurelius: A Biography (rev. ed. 1987).

R

Thanks for these book titles. I've found the first one for sale online. Any idea where I could find E. Petersen, et al volumes? Are these the sort of things you only find in major libraries?

Thanks.
L. Cornelius Scaeva (Jim Miller)
Legio VI VPF

"[The Romans understood] it is not walls that protect men but men that protect walls" - Strabo
Quote:Any idea where I could find E. Petersen, et al volumes? Are these the sort of things you only find in major libraries?
Definitely! Smile
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Higher officer helmets during the reign of Marcus Aurelius and Commodus Corvus 2 557 10-21-2021, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Corvus
  Legionary Equipment During Reign of Marcus Aurelius Valerian 33 9,344 02-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  equestrian statue of marcus aurelius 174 A.D. fattkid08 4 6,084 11-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Vindex