Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aerial Photograph Archive
Here in Scotland, we are lucky enough to have free access to the on-line archive of RCAHMS (Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland).

If you are interested, go here and click on the "Canmore" button. You will need to register, but it is quick and easy. After that, you can find information and pictures of most of Scotland's ancient monuments. Brilliant!
(Byron -- you'll be able to get all the info you want about Stracathro! Big Grin )

Now ... here's my question.
Does anyone know of a similar resource in other countries?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Here in Wales we have something similar to you there in Scotland!! And you don't even have to register to use it.
It's clearly the same basic programme:
www.coflein.gov.uk/

Come on, don't the English have anything? :wink:
Unfortunately many of these aerial photography archives are modern images taken from very high up & vertical.

There was a great deal of work done however by DN Riley & JK St Joseph since the last war, taken from (often dangerously) low levels offering oblique images, which are the best for defining features from crops & shadows.
I know that many St Joseph's photos are in a collection at Cambridge Univ. & much of Riley's collection is lodged at South Yorkshire HER (was the SMR). These are however in a manual archive/files accessible by arrangement (or they were when I used them).
I think that Claudia missed out yet another important guy this was Raymond Selkirk, his work before he sadly passed away last year can blow anyones ideas of Hadrians' Wall out of the window his books are a must for anyone who want's to talk about this subject.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Here in Wales we have something similar to you there in Scotland!!
The beauty of Canmore is that many of the APs and site plans have been digitised and are available for public view.

The Welsh one doesn't seem to have this -- or did I try the wrong sites?!

Edit: Aha! I tried searching for "TEMPORARY CAMP" and it came up with zero!! (No temporary camps in Wales?! :? Surely some mistake!)
But searching for "MARCHING CAMP" produces some very nice photos! Thanks, Kate. Big Grin
Quote:I think that Claudia missed out yet another important guy this was Raymond Selkirk ...
If we're listing influential aerial archaeologists, don't forget Antoine Poidebard, O.G.S. Crawford, Barri Jones, Roger Agache, René Goguey, ...
That's very true Duncan and Raymond gave very good praise to many of these people, however no one showed such a fantastic frontier as his 255 degree line that re writes the Roman history of Britain.
Brian Stobbs
I was aware of the others, but only mentioned Riley & St Joseph as examples.
The 2 did a lot of work together, particularly on the areas of S yorkshire. From the anecdotal stories I was told about them, their exploits in a small plane were quite inspired (or to some would be described as insane).
The images are particularly useful though as they are B&W, low down and oblique, with multiple passes over the same areas at different times of the year.
I do understand Claudia I just had to mention the late Raymond Selkirk as he was a very good friend and colleague of mine, infact we were both in the RAF at the very same unit here in the N/east of England. I was also a member of his Northern Archaeology Group where guys would fly around finding Roman roads and forts here in the north, then afterward all go out on field walks to confirm things on the ground. Indeed Ramond does go on to mention in one of his books all the things about flying, and the angles and positions one has to get into to get some of the shots you mention.
Brian Stobbs
I should mention Duncan I not only had a look at Canmore I've even registered looks real good.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Website on Aerial Archeology and Airborne Laserscan Simplex 0 876 04-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Simplex