Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergence of Segmantata in Scarrow\'s books
I had a question, In Simon Scarrow's second book in the Under the Eagle series, The Eagles Conquest, when Macro and Cato recruit new soldiers for their cohort they mention one wore the "new" segmented cuirass. This being the second invasion of Britain around 43 AD. I was under the impression that segmantata was introduced some 40 years before and was "new" when Augustus was coming to power.
AKA Travis S.
Several possibilities

- research progresses past historical fiction. It happens all the time. When I was in uni, the assumption was that the seg emerged sometime around the middle of the first century AD. The Kalkriese finds were responsible for changing that position IIRC, but it is still found in all kinds of very reputable academic tomes and until a few years ago, nobody knew better.

- the spread of an article before industrial standardisation may be significantly slower than we are acustomed to. THe author could have worked on the assumption that the segmentata was still new for these troops. Given that an extant mail or scale armour would still be perfectly adequate to the task, there is, after all, no reason to think the seg immediately replaced all other armour.

- Sloppy research. It's not unknown in historical novels, but Mr Scarrow is (was?) on this forum and from what I've seen, I think we can exclude that possibility.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Wow really, I did not know he was or is on this forum. Though i should not be too surprised seeing as there seem to be several good authors on this forum.

Im sure the latter would not apply to Mr. Scarrow as the rest of his research is sound, taking some creative license with the more intimate and personal details with the characters which is to be expected. I thoroughly am enjoying these books.

The reference to the segmented cuirass being the "new style" in 43 AD just threw me off, as i had this idea from what i have read, and what my professors had taught, that the segmented armor was seen as early as Late 1st century BC and while i imagine it didn't replace the hamata and scale armor overnight was atleast becoming popular, if not common, by 43 AD.

Though I do see what you are saying, i had only been exposed to the newer ideas formed from the Kalkriese finds, i hadn't realized that before these finds the assumed date of segmented cuirass was much later.
AKA Travis S.
As an ex military man myself I still think of the uniforms worn by the Navy as being the "new" style as opposed to what I used to wear 30 years ago. New doesn't have to be this years newest creation if you catch my drift. Smile
Juan Santell, no Roman name yet. Picking a name is very important and something that should not be done hastily or without much thought.
As in "I saw the new faster than sound airliner for the very first time in
87" what a sight/let down/ sleek looking plane.....", even though it was flying for years before.......?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I suspect it's more to do with, at the time of writing the first book, the seg was thought to have seen its first use at the time of Claudius, before the confirmed dating or identification of the Kalkriese type.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
When did Scarrow write this anyway? I don't recall seeing these in the stores when I was looking forthis kind of novel... :?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The second book was published in 2001
<a class="postlink" href="http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4889/rtrromeyl4dg1.jpg">http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4889 ... yl4dg1.jpg
Jason V.Oakley
Quote:When did Scarrow write this anyway? I don't recall seeing these in the stores when I was looking forthis kind of novel... :?

The first one is only 75p on Amazon, just in case you're feeling like splashing out Big Grin
Kat x

~We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars~
Simon's books are a good read, but for me are somewhat spoilt by a number of inaccuracies, of which this is but a minor one which can be explained away as above, but others can not be.......so 'poor research' seems to be the answer.....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff