Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X
If you want to post something you'd better be able to prove that it's legal or be in violation. If you can't don't post about it. OR read the rest of what I wrote- that you can post pictures only without mentioning the thing is for sale, or any details that might suggest it. It's the SALE of stolen artifacts that is the issue, not the objects themselves.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
i have no problem with that Matt, i agree with your viewpoint.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:question: is this a feasible depiction of Signae?

M.VIB.M.

I don't think so at all- the 'hands' are dubious and the rest sure doesn't look like signum discs... they look more like some kind of hanging mobile or windchimes or something...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
I would like to say as a metal detectorist that archaeologists and others have branded all metal detectorists as being irresponsible people. I would just like to point out to many of the unenlightened that in this hobby there are indeed rules also, and so long as people stick to these rules then no law has been broken. I would also like to point out to many of these archaeological thinkers just how sad it is to detect in the legal manner, only to find that so much is being destroyed by modern farming practice. Infact much of this destruction has been carried out in no more than the last half century and not in the the past 20 centuries.
Brian Stobbs
Yes, I would rather a find was discovered by a detectorist than trawled up by a plow anyday.......a legal detectorist. 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
OH absolutely- and construction is even worse; putting up shopping malls and housing over priceless sites is unforgivable. It is certainly good that there are responsible detectorists out there- archaeologists are severely restricted by time and funding, so amateurs help a lot; just consider Kalkreise- not found by an archaeologist, but by an amateur, assisted invaluably by other amateurs who had collected objects that allowed the site's identifification. But these people didn't dig stuff up to sell, and when there was a reason to do serious research, they quite correctly submitted their material to help.

In the case of this rule it's simply that searching for and selling artifacts is illegal in much of Europe, as it should be, and although not a European entity, RAT being ultimately an academic site, stands on the side of archaeology, which ultimately loses out to looters. Sure publications are often painfully slow in coming, and artifacts are sometimes forgotten in museum store rooms, but the material is there- when something's dug up by a looter and sold to some private individual, it could be an incredible loss to science. It's ironically less bad that things are now easily found on auction websites because at least that allows us images of an object that might otherwise never be seen...
Yes, but I'll bet the really priceless loot is never advertised on the web... :evil: Cry secret deals are usually the way the big crooks work.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
True, however I am happy that Matt lets us post pictures of some stuff without telling where or what the deal is, so we still can debate scientifically certain artefacts otherwise lost to posterity.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Of course, they should be debated, just not in a way that gives the looters and sellers any assistence.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel