Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mini-Art Spartan Build Log
Well its finally in! my Spartan by Mini-art... ( I WROTE THIS 4 Years ago ! )

i have started building the kit and must say i am very happy with it. (also have the Roman Legionary, ill open another thread for that one.

The sprues are lovely, though i will have to use some milliput for some creases and cracks because it doesnt fit the way it should....

Especially the legs and arms which come in two halves are a little tricky but nothing but a good filling and sanding, and it will come out nicely.

The Corinthian style helmet comes in three parts, the muscular armour is beautifully cast, and well for a plastic model of only 15,95 Euros it sure is a treat!

Painting it will be done by using normal enamel paints, since i am not at all good in oil painting my models.

more pics will follow...

[Image: 616012.jpg]

[Image: Litnik_16012_1.jpg]

[Image: Litnik_16012_2.jpg]
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Just a phonecam so nothing special....

[Image: IMAGE_00555.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_00556.jpg]

[Image: IMAGE_00557.jpg]

H.J.Vrielink.
Coming along nicely with my bronze paint!!

Humbrol this time...

[Image: IMAGE_00558.jpg]

H.J.Vrielink.
nice iwill follow closely!!!
DIMITRIOS
I think i am going with the Lambda decal included however i dont want it on a plain bronze coloured shield... how about a black shield with red lambda and bronze rim?

any other ideas of historically correct shield motives for Spartans?

H.J.Vrielink.
Looks good so far! I like that model a lot.

Don't go with a lambda, it'd ruin the piece. I thought there would be a dokona there? Alternatively you could try one of the mora designs, which would be an interesting challenge.
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
yes i prefer the mores emblems for sure
DIMITRIOS
[Image: Spartadecal.jpg]

These are the two decals supplied with the kit..

which one would be best? do you have your own historically correct art work of a Spartan aspis? if so please post it so i can choose which shield blazon ill use!!

send pics!! and win the honour of seeing your own shield on this model!

It has to be Spartan though, and documented!

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
http://www.hellenicdefense.gr/per/300le ... ykoma.html

Stefanos is one of the editors of this great book about spartan mores

the one you have is of the bodyguard of the king which is an Olympic champion so he wear on his helmet an olive branch.
DIMITRIOS
are the shield decorations in the link the only known Spartan ones?

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
I too have a couple of these figures....they are rather irresistible aren't they?......even if occasionally some of the details are doubtful/speculative for want of concrete information.

Here the figure dates to circa 500-480 BC ( the era of the Persian Wars) and alas AFIK there are no known Spartan shield emblems of this exact era, Stefanos' views notwithstanding. The 'Dokana' is not AFIK known as a shield design.......
The 'Lambda' came in much later, probably with Sparta's use of emancipated Helots (neodamodeis) c.420 BC as a cheap form of mercenary Hoplites.

One well-known design is Zenodoros/Bonnie's avatar, which dates from c.600-570 BC aprox. It is known from a moulded clay relief of two warriors, both with 'sideways' crests and a miniature terracotta model shield, so even the colours are authentic. The interior of the terracotta model was decorated with largeish painted scales in concentric circles in the same colours ( see Sekunda's 'Osprey' "The Spartans" for a good illustration.) Other geometric such as 'wagon wheel' are known from this period, to be replaced by birds, animals etc (see below)

There are no proven 'Mora' designs either.......

Many individual shield blazons are also known from votive lead figurines which were found in the temple of Artemis Orthia - Sekunda illustrates a few on P.57 of his book, but there are many more ( I've included the original illustration from the report showing shield designs 600-500 BC)
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
why are all the mini art models the same except helmet crest for the greco-sparta models
Valete,
Owain/Cicero
a.k.a. Dave Kufner

QUI DESIDERAT PACEM PRAEPARAT BELLUM

<a class="postlink" href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Segontium/">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Segontium/
wouldnt know.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
They look great,very great...those plastics are real addictive though.Fantasy was my addiction,spent hours on 'em.Great fun though!
Out of sight of subject shores, we kept even our eyes free from the defilement of tyranny. We, the most distant dwellers upon earth, the last of the free, have been shielded till today by our very remoteness and by the obscurity in which it has shrouded our name.
Calgacus The Swordsman, Mons Grapius 84 AD.

Name:Michael Hayes
Well, all fellow modellers will know this.

You start something and then leave it to the side doing other stuff and completely forget about it....

To be honest, I just started again with this model. The reason being my professor of ancient history is going to enjoy his pension and I thought it would be nice to give him
something which I built myself. So I guess this topic comes out of the moth balls again !

Okay here are some images. I am modifying this model slightly to make it look better.
The end result will be in a square display box, and the Spartan will stand not on its round base but in a small landscape setting which I will show later.

The shield will get real rope and rings :

[Image: SAM_1564.jpg]

The rounded pteryges are made square :

[Image: SAM_1574.jpg]

Some work needs to be done on the legs due to the shell construction in two halves of many of the parts of the model itself :

[Image: SAM_1570.jpg]

The feet have been reworked a little with putty and the sandals have been cut to represent the Greek sandal more, with the protruding toe part of the sole :

[Image: SAM_1575.jpg]

The preliminary helmet paint and the face and body armor before shading and detailing.
He will get long hair since the Spartans had long hair and not short.

[Image: SAM_1569.jpg]

[Image: SAM_1568.jpg]

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.