Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fulham Scabbard Finds
I mean the top one is identical of the central right one. The central left one is identical to the top one of the bottom picture. :roll:
Quote:The Fulham sword is not a straight sided blade Cornal I have photographs of this sword the scabbard frame and the decoration plates, these I purchased from the British Museum many years ago for reproduction of this sword. The blade is 7cm at the shoulder then comes in over the first inch to 6cm it tapers ever so slightly to 5cm where it's point begins. There is also that this sword does not have a chamfer that runs the length of the blade, the chamfer only goes from the point to some 7 inchs'up the blade or one third of it's length where it then has a gentle curve section all the way to the shoulder. The scabbard however is straight sided and has to be to contain it's type of decoration plates or rather it's central plate that is rectangular.

Thanks Brian , that is exactly what I was after!! Still not technically what I'd waisted though :wink:

Ok... I may have to stand corrected, it could be a badly made Mainz :?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Thanks Alexander - if we keep this thread going for long enough we might have a complete scan of the Miks book 8)

Interesting group of blades for the Fulham sub-type :?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:Miks's book is apparently being reprinted.

The diagram above clearly shows to me that many of the blade shapes villified in the past as being too innacurate for re-enactment are clearly sound, as long as they don't have those stupid V-shaped fullers at the top of the blade.

Look at 10!! Show up at a group with that and you'd be tasting caligae!

I'm off to take a look on Ebay. :wink:

I reckon 10 is a two man sword - the Roman equivalent of a Weapon of Mass Destruction?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
The tiberius and a couple of others just look like mainz's to me..period.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Miks's book is apparently being reprinted.

The diagram above clearly shows to me that many of the blade shapes villified in the past as being too innacurate for re-enactment are clearly sound, as long as they don't have those stupid V-shaped fullers at the top of the blade.

Look at 10!! Show up at a group with that and you'd be tasting caligae!

I'm off to take a look on Ebay. :wink:

Number 10 Pompeii sub-type swords are dated about to the mid. 2nd century, as far as I briefly checked. BTW, I noticed that at least one of the 2nd century pompeii (different sub-type though) did have that V-shaped ricasso..
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
I have been looking at the pictures you show Cesar and I might disagree just a little bit with reference to the central left one looking the same as the top one in the lower picture. The theme is the same however look more closely and you find that the position of the helmet next to the shield differs, one helmet is on the shield the other is to the right and also the victories differ. There is also a difference with the reclining figure where the angle of his spear is not the same or indeed the shield he is leaning on. I even can see very slight differences in the others also when I look at the borders, a right hand border hits the decoration where the other does not. The themes are the same however not made by the same punches.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,724 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Creating a Fulham Scabbard With Reprousse~ Plates Pointer 5 2,214 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Find It Fulham Scabbard Re-Fit - Work In Progress sulla felix 105 23,634 01-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar