Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fulham Scabbard Finds
Quote:
Quote:Am I mistaken in thinking that mainz blades are waisted and that that the blade from Fulham has parallel sides and that was the reason they had been differentiated?

Being a bit picky here but I do not think you said anything about the reconstruction of the blades Conal? Could be wrong of course!

Anyway, looking at the photo of the actual blade I am not sure one could say it is entirely parallel sided?

You'll get a rep!

As you pointed out a picture of the actual blade all rusted & stuff I merely wanted to clarify the reason why all reconstructions are stright sided. I have assumed that xrays and the like had confirmed this status. I agree that there is a slight flaring at the shoulders but this is not waisting. The rest of the blade is, as reconstructed by the archaologist chappies, parallel .

I'd be happier calling it a short Delos :roll:
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:You'll get a rep!

Too Late :lol: :lol:

I'll have to have a look at some of the reconstructions of the Fulham sword blade.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:Am I mistaken in thinking that mainz blades are waisted and that that the blade from Fulham has parallel sides and that was the reason they had been differentiated?

According to Miks, the Mainz type includes various kinds of blades. The typology is more complicated than simply "parallel/waisted" division. See the diagram.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
Now that is interesting!

...and Miks shows the Fulham as slightly wasted and not paralell sided, unless my eyes deceive me?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
This is a great set of books Felix......get it while copies last!! 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I thought it was already out of print?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:According to Miks

So, does Christian Miks have the last word on this?

I see quite disparate swords being typed Mainz there not to mention a fat old Pompeii along with the well known slimmer types Confusedhock: If I wasn't such a Brit & could sprechen Sie Germanski I would love to know his reasoning!!

Sulla I do in fact think the draftsmans eyes were deceiving him.
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
I take it you mean #5? I would agree on that looking at it. and likewise whish I could read Germani. But, there are blade shapes which i always thought were modern fantasy interpretations......which leads to more questions....... :roll: :lol:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Sulla I do in fact think the draftsmans eyes were deceiving him.

:lol:
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
apparently not, and i have a second dealer sending me one, as I confused websites, will let you know when I get it if you want...assuming it is not a different book altogether :oops: :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The Fulham sword is not a straight sided blade Cornal I have photographs of this sword the scabbard frame and the decoration plates, these I purchased from the British Museum many years ago for reproduction of this sword. The blade is 7cm at the shoulder then comes in over the first inch to 6cm it tapers ever so slightly to 5cm where it's point begins. There is also that this sword does not have a chamfer that runs the length of the blade, the chamfer only goes from the point to some 7 inchs'up the blade or one third of it's length where it then has a gentle curve section all the way to the shoulder. The scabbard however is straight sided and has to be to contain it's type of decoration plates or rather it's central plate that is rectangular.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:apparently not, and i have a second dealer sending me one, as I confused websites, will let you know when I get it if you want...assuming it is not a different book altogether

Keep me posted!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:...and Miks shows the Fulham as slightly wasted and not paralell sided, unless my eyes deceive me?

London-Fulham is on this tafel under #445.
The others on these pages are:
699 - Strassburg-Königshoffen
355 - Koblenz-Neuendorf (Fulham var.)
465 - Mainz (Fulham var.)
588 - Pompeji (Fulham var.)
698 - Store Dammegard (Fulham var.)
194 - Fundort unbekannt (Fulham var.)
687 - Stara Gradiske (Fulham var.)
27 - Bad Deutsch-Altenburg (Fulham var.?)
609 - Rheingönheim (Fulham var.)
455 - Lyon (Fulham var.)
816 - Zerkow (Fulham var.?)

Note that all of them presented here except the first one are classified by Miks under Fulham variant of the Mainz type.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
If you see that exemples of scabbard mouths, you can see there are identical, so probably stamped.

[Image: pvgiones_gladiusmainz17.jpg]

[Image: pvgiones_gladiipartis09.jpg]

[Image: pvgiones_gladiipartis08.jpg]
Miks's book is apparently being reprinted.

The diagram above clearly shows to me that many of the blade shapes villified in the past as being too innacurate for re-enactment are clearly sound, as long as they don't have those stupid V-shaped fullers at the top of the blade.

Look at 10!! Show up at a group with that and you'd be tasting caligae!

I'm off to take a look on Ebay. :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,748 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Creating a Fulham Scabbard With Reprousse~ Plates Pointer 5 2,252 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Find It Fulham Scabbard Re-Fit - Work In Progress sulla felix 105 23,812 01-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar