Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fulham Scabbard Finds
Quote:Barry, I was thinking the same thing about the current scabbard. But what are you going to change the scabbard to? Where is the evidence you are going to base it off?

OK - simple (relatively!) punched designs such as those seen
here
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Quote:PS, how is the sword itself? Sturdy? It looks really nice from the pictures.

Yes it is sturdy, but I feel it is a bit on the thin side (3mm max) when compared to some surviving Mainz examples (5-7mm). The grip is a bit thin for me too, but that is easily remedied. Overall I think it is good value for money (as long as you are prepared to do some work to it), but I did find that the scabbard was not particularly well made and pretty disappointing overall.
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
The mouth pieces and the round pieces are from swords similars to the Tiberius one.

The round piece are, as i have seen, separated and soldered.

The Tiberius sword is composed by some pieces. Is a wooden scabbard covered by metalic plain plates. Then, a mouth piece and a chape are added, as the suspension bands and the round piece.

Another swords are similar in construction, but with the plates embossed, and not plains. The one in the bottom of the page linked by Sulla Felix is one of these.
Excellent link Barry, that is a new version of that website?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Excellent link Barry, that is a new version of that website?

Not sure Byron, but it is excellent!
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
I tend to be of the same opinion about the Fulham, I think it is just a Mainz
that has been sharpened over time, altering the shape.

Just my opinion tho'! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Agreed - just have a look at this Mainz. Why not a type assigned for this?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Thats a great point. Idea Come to think of it, I guess your right. We may never know the absolute truth, but this is as good as any. As for the scabbards, would they be as accurate if one were to just put different decorated plates on the scabbard? I mean how much criticism would I get if I made up my own decorated plates. Maybe I could "steal" a scene from a different scabbard, or a pompeii... :?:
Paul Zatarain
[size=100:m472q49a]Leg IX Hispana CENT I HIB[/size]

http://www.reenactor.net/duplisite/

"What man is a man who does not strive to make the world a better place"
If it was a Roman scabbard why not?

There were more than a couple of hundred in existence I'll bet at any one time!! :wink: :lol:
My new scabbard has elements of different scabbards on it, I believe!!

It is nice to have an exact copy of a certain scabbard for sure, but we will soon all start looking the same. :roll: :roll:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Ha. :lol:
Ya, why cant a soldier comission his own design? Or have a custom made scabbard handed down to him. There are a lot of plates out there, but most of the reconstructed ones are all the same. I guess its time for me to hit the drawing board. I gotta figure out what examples I want to use.
Thanks Byron
Paul Zatarain

If we have a lot of authentic exemplars, why vaste your time and work in make an not accurate piece? Pieces out of tipology are very scarce, and even that pieces are close to the homogeneus types.

Use an Pompei motif in a Mainz scabbard is like reenact a wwii soldier using a camoflage esqueme of the desert storm operation.
Cesar you have a good point. My plan was to take a few examples of Mainz finds and make design for my own... nothing too fancy, and something that could blend in enough that it wont attract too much attention... :roll: Once i get the idea drawn up, ill post. Then we can criticize some more... Big Grin
Paul Zatarain

What I was meaning was take different 'existing ' plates, from various finds and combine them to make a scabbard that is to your own liking, not make up designs that are fantasy! Sorry if you misunderstood me.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Caballo was good enough to show me Christian Miks' book on Roman swords. I have to say I was amazed at the variety in shapes and suspect we limit ourselves a bot too much. It's also possible to see a direct evolution from the hispaniensis to the fulham/mainz type, if you accept the theory that the long blade of 'typical' hispaniensis style is actually celtic LaTene. That's been discussed elsewhere.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Jim, you need to get these books for yourself! They are amazing! Big Grin
Like you say, the variety of shapes and possibilities are way beyond what we limit ourselves to.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1st Century Roman Fulham Gladius Sword and Scabbard Pointer 4 1,724 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Creating a Fulham Scabbard With Reprousse~ Plates Pointer 5 2,214 09-14-2017, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Pointer
  Find It Fulham Scabbard Re-Fit - Work In Progress sulla felix 105 23,634 01-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar