Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: The Devil\'s Cauldron
This is Off Off Topic, however our Dutch members might find it of interest as well as those who are students of World War II.

http://www.dfwfront.net/dc/

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Other ... gtstdc.php

The maps are very detailed -- perhaps Jasper could even find his current house...

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
There's no such thing as an off-topic thread in an off-topic forum. Wink
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
I've gone off topic.

I prefer a bournville these days......
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I've gone off topic.

Now that is bad: I think we deserve an apology!! :lol:
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Ooooh. Market Garden was my huge previous interest. My current house wasn't built at the time, but still interesting! Can it be won at all!?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:This is Off Off Topic
hm ... if off topic means "Anything and everything not about ancient warfare or history." so off off topic can only be "Anything and everything about ancient warfare or history." Wink
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:
Narukami:2alww7xs Wrote:This is Off Off Topic
hm ... if off topic means "Anything and everything not about ancient warfare or history." so off off topic can only be "Anything and everything about ancient warfare or history." Wink

Ouch -- you got me there Tiberius

So I now stand (or in this case sit) properly chastised for my misuse of the English language. :oops:

On the other hand...

As World War Two recedes and those with living memory of it pass it will soon become as remote as ancient history. Just ask any typical US High School student -- chances are they think Julius Caesar lead the Allied invasion of Gaul, er I mean France.

Jasper, as to the question of the Allies winning Market-Garden the Game... I wonder if anyone has the time (and friends) to spend learning these rules and then actually playing the Devil's Cauldron from start to finish. This is truly a monster of a game even bigger than the SPI classic Highway to the Reich.

I used to play a game on my Mac from SSI / Atomic Games (Operation Market-Garden) very much in the vein of the old Avalon Hill map & counter games and could actually win as the Allies. However I usually had to play the option of adjusting the British and Polish drop zones and sometimes the option of dropping a second British airborne division on the southern side of the bridge at Arnhem.

That game was a lot of fun but no longer plays on the current generation of computers Cry

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Ouch -- you got me there Tiberius

sorry, i didnt mean it Big Grin ... depends on, if you read off-topic as "Anything and everything not about ancient warfare or history" 8)

... enough hairs split, so far. :lol: :lol: :lol:
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Not at all my friend -- point well taken and rightly so.

The good news here is that I still have some hairs left on my head that can be split -- the gods alone how long that will last.

:? oops: :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:I've gone off topic.

I wasnt really into topic - sort of put off by the little ditty "what has a hazlenut in every bite..." and the inevitable addition at the end of "squirrel ****!"
Loved Toby though! Could never decide what animal he was meant to be - didn't look like a squirrel.
Do they still make topics these days?

Sadly I cant eat chocolate any more - it doesnt agree with me.
Sorry can't help you there, I was struggling to remember if I had even got the name right! :oops: I remember the add ditty now, and probably never ate them either for the same reason :lol: :lol:

And I think I am going the same way with chocolate.... :roll:
Will help me to stay in armour longer..
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I am A CHEEKY devil arrowmaker 0 841 05-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Last Post: arrowmaker