Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Life imitates Arts (in Belgium)
The library of Ghent has announced an interesting project: the entire text of Cervantes' Don Quixote will be broadcasted in morse code. Somehow, this reminds me of a Monty Python sketch.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
brilliant! (both news and monty python sketch..)
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Monty Python -- those guys were way ahead of their time, or this time for that matter. We may never catch up.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Monty Python = :lol: :lol: :lol:
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Hahaha that was brilliant! Never seen it before Big Grin
Quote:Monty Python -- those guys were way ahead of their time, or this time for that matter. We may never catch up.
I think it is actually a bit sad that people start to do seriously that what has already been ridiculed. Marx had the sequence wrong when he wrote: "Hegel remarks that all great world-historic facts appear twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce."
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:
Narukami:2ghmyogz Wrote:Monty Python -- those guys were way ahead of their time, or this time for that matter. We may never catch up.
I think it is actually a bit sad that people start to do seriously that what has already been ridiculed. Marx had the sequence wrong when he wrote: "Hegel remarks that all great world-historic facts appear twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce."

Was that Karl or Groucho...sounds plausible for either one.

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:Was that Karl or Groucho...sounds plausible for either one.
Karl. It's the first line of The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte. From the same author is the remark - he had written a devastating criticism of the first part of a book - that he had left "the remainder of the book to the biting criticism of mice". And when he was asked why he, as theoretician of the great proletarian revolution, sent his daughters to expensive bourgeois schools, Marx remarked: "Have you ever seen a road sign that personally went to London?" It's a shame that the element of satire in Marx' writings is so often underestimated.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:
Narukami:1s37hf54 Wrote:Was that Karl or Groucho...sounds plausible for either one.
Karl. It's a shame that the element of satire in Marx' writings is so often underestimated.

Indeed so -- that is why the line is plausible for either Marx.

I have a feeling Karl might have appreciated the anarchic humor of the Brothers Marx. The Soviets certainly did when Harpo performed in Moscow.

Like Chaplin, Harpo's visual humor transcended the restrictions of place, time or language. Besides the Russians have a long tradition of clowns and no doubt the Soviets saw him as one with their own tradition.

Thanks for the reference Jona. :wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Life imitates art richsc 1 869 08-05-2003, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Frank Miranda