Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bumbesti helmet - article/information request
Salvete,

Can anybody help me with a copy of the following article:

Petculescu, L. and Gheorghe, P. 1979: 'Coiful roman de la Bumbesti', Studii si Cervetari de Istorie Veche (SCIVA) 30, 603-6

or any other source/information on the Bumbesti helmet?

I ordered SCIVA 30 from my local library but the article isn't there so I presume the citation is not correct but I am unable to find the correct citation.

Thank you!
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
This isn't the cross-braced Gallic helmet from Berzobis is it?

[Image: Bucarest-1.jpg]
No, it is apparently one of the few conical helmets associated with Roman archers of Eastern origin (Robinson's Aux Inf. D). I am aware of the following:

Dahovo, Bosnia - Robinson, The Armour of Imperial Rome, Hoffiller, V. 1910-11: 'Oprema rimskoga vojnika u prvo doba carstva', Vjestnik Hrvatskoga Arheoloskoga Drustva (Zagreb) n.s. 11, 145-240 (S. 27)

Intercisa, Hungary - Szabo 1986, 'Le casque romain d'Intercisa - recente trouvaille du Danube', Studien zu den Militärgrenzen Roms III, 421

Karaagach, Bulgaria - Velkov, I. 1928-29: 'Neue Grabhügel aus Bulgarien', Bulletin de l'Institut d'Archéologie Bulgare 5, 13-55

Bumbesti, Romania - Petculescu, L. and Gheorghe, P. 1979: 'Coiful roman de la Bumbesti', Studii si Cervetari de Istorie Veche 30, 603-6

Dacia (I forgot the exact location) - potential cheek piece, Petculescu, L. 1982: 'Obrazare de coifuri Romane din Dacia', Acta Musei Napocensis 19, 291-300

Breda - Bredase Akkers, 4000 jaar bewoningsgeschiedenis op de rand van zand en klei. C.W. Koot, R. Berkvens. RAM102 Breda 2004. ISBN: 90-5799-056-3. Discussed here link from old RAT

There is another helmet classified in Robinson as a parade helmet which appears to be conical or parabolic so may fall in this category, I believe from Bulgaria (Ostrov?).

Petculescu mentions the Bumbesti helmet in an article on the equipment of Roman archers which I believe was published in the proceedings of the Vienna LIMES proceedings but the citation does not appear to be correct.

I have not found any other reference to the Bumbesti helmet, hence my post. If anybody can add more helmets to the above list, I would be equally grateful.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
There's photos of the archers helmet here...scroll down

http://www.romanarmy.net/hamians.htm

[Image: Archershelmetsmall.jpg]
Thank you for the link to the photos of the Karaagach and Dahovo helmets and the interesting article!
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Quote:Can anybody help me with a copy of the following article:

Petculescu, L. and Gheorghe, P. 1979: 'Coiful roman de la Bumbesti', Studii si Cervetari de Istorie Veche (SCIVA) 30, 603-6

or any other source/information on the Bumbesti helmet?

I ordered SCIVA 30 from my local library but the article isn't there so I presume the citation is not correct but I am unable to find the correct citation.

The citation is correct except that you need to specify "number 4" (of volume 30). Perhaps you got a copy of number 1.

Anyway, here is the article. It's very short and only has 2 low quality photos. I hope it helps though. Let me know if you need something else.

Ioan
Ioan Berbescu
This is extremely helpful.

Thank you very much and LAUS to you.
Regards,

Jens Horstkotte
Munich, Germany
Here are bigger versions of the photos.
Ioan Berbescu
That could almost be a pylos type helmet......
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coolus C Helmet Information jkaler48 10 4,336 02-25-2008, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Matthew Amt
  Lauresfort Phalerae Article Request Doc 0 961 12-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Last Post: Doc
  Article Request Doc 2 1,201 12-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Last Post: Doc