Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scale Shield
Did the romans at any point in their history, or even their enemies ever use scale shields? That is, a wooden shield with a scale facing? I came across a relief in the Stilicho entry in wikipedia that seems to show one, and I have seen a drawing by Johny Shumate of a scythian yielding one aswell.
Didn't the praetorians use some kind of scale pattern on their shields? (I might be wrong about this, I only know some eh Osprey :oops: book which has a drawing with this in it.. :roll: :wink: )(I thought it was Late Roman cavalrymen.. :? wink: Some cavalry guys hunting some praetorians down.. Tongue P lol: )

Greetz,
Manuel Peters
The praetorian shield with (probably painted) scale decoration is a parma carried by a beneficiarius on the Cancellaria relief.
So I wasn't that wrong then..? :roll: Big Grin lol:
Manuel Peters
Yes, but the one I am referring to is practically an oval scutum and it doesnt seem like painting to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stilicho

Had that pattern appeaed on one's body nobody would dismiss it as scale armour so why is that the case here? Wouldn't a scale covered shield be quite effective?
En entire oval scale shield measuring 125 by 70 cm has been found in a Scythian grave from Simferopol`in the Ukraine dating to the 5th century BC. This is the only actual example that I know of.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
The picture I was talking about:
Manuel Peters
Description:
Manuel Peters
Note that they mention both Stilicho and Cancellaria in the text ..

Greetz,
Manuel Peters
So it did exist and was used by the praetorian guard from the 1st century onwards?
Well, according to Osprey, yes.. However, we're talking about Osprey, and this one is copyright 1995.. So it might be a little outdated.. :? ? roll: Anyway, I think they mean some kind of painting, as they're talking about a scale pattern.. :? wink:

Greetz,

P.S. Please let there be somebody else with some more knowledge on this subject! :roll: I hate to say it, but I ran out of references.. :oops: :roll: :lol:
Manuel Peters
I suspect that the pattern we often perceive as scales was in fact intended to depict feathers. Embossed feathers were to be found on helmets and armor throughout the Imperial period.
Pecunia non olet
Here is the parma of the Beneficiarius on the Cancellaria relief.. They could be either feathers or leaves.

[Image: PIC5.jpg]
Quote:Well, according to Osprey, yes.. However, we're talking about Osprey, and this one is copyright 1995.. So it might be a little outdated.. :? ? roll: Anyway, I think they mean some kind of painting, as they're talking about a scale pattern:

Why 'Osprey' and why 'they'? The book is written by Prof. Boris Rankov, an expert on the Praetorian Guard, not by 'Osprey'.

Anyway, I agree with other posters, the pattern looks more like feathers.

R
Well, I was just being carefull,because.. Well, you know this topic, don't you.. :wink:
Sorry if I offended anyone.. :oops: :wink:

Greetz,
Manuel Peters