Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
traits of a Roman legionary
Tarbicus/Jim wrote:-
Quote:It took myself and the bar staff at least two hours to figure out who the 30+ party crowd were before I simply asked them
....another interesting sign of the times we live in and our current atitudes to the military. Not that long ago, they would have gone out in uniform and their 'high-profile' behaviour would have made their identity plain.......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Isn't it just possible that by the time he retired, his scars, missing teeth, broken nose, scars, and did I mention scars, would give him away as a veteran? Or maybe if asked he said, "I'm a veteran. Wanna see my diploma?"

I also don't particularly agree with the idea a soldier has a different air about hm. It took myself and the bar staff at least two hours to figure out who the 30+ party crowd were before I simply asked them (I had a suspicion, but it was tough to tell). Just back from the front lines of Afghanistan. Otherwise they were just like any other bunch of working class lads out on the razzle dazzle, including the police giving them a warning to behave :wink: Maybe it's different in the States, but the Romans were mostly Europeans after all Tongue

NB: An American friend on a visit to Liverpool did ask if every man in the city was in the army - short haircuts are the usual thing, plus most are pretty fit.

wink: :wink: I have to say my experience has been just the opposite. I have spent many hours volunteering for veterans groups. Maybe, it’s just because of my exposure over an extended period that I pick up on certain things that others would not notice. Also, I should have pointed out that this certainly does not apply to everyone. I suppose I overstated my experiences.

Europeans of today are most definately not the Europeans of the Ancient World :wink: If there is a Rome in the world today its the US of A :wink:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
LOL. :wink: Or China.

To be honest, I was chatting with their sergeant (I bought them all drinks knowing they'd been in forward observation posts for their tour) and there definitely is a confidence or formality with these guys. But it takes having to actually talk with them, otherwise they just seem like everyday blokes to the average Joe.

But you also have to ask whether it's to do with them being military like a Roman legionary, or if it's their training today that causes them to perhaps act with more consideration and formality? I'm finding it very difficult to come up with the right phrase, but if you could find a source text from the pre-gunpowder age, or even pre-World War 1 that also mentions the kind of traits we're talking about, I'd be more inclined to accept that the Romans had this air about them as well.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
We have our fair share of ex-servicemen offshore from various services, and the yare mostly easy to get on and work with, and the combat veterans have always had a certain difference to them, especially depending on the conflict the served in....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mannerisms and Cultural Traits of Romans in General DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS 5 1,951 11-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Kate Gilliver