Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
traits of a Roman legionary
Well, maybe more robust, but not necessarilly taller! :wink:

Definately in better health than your average pleb, that would be a certainty. But they would all be different I imagine, as all humans are. Somewould be arrogant, thieves, thugs. Others may be more intelligent or capable of making a go of themselves in civilain life....without being outright bandits....farmers, shop keepers even?

Depends on their ability to handle their money.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Well, maybe more robust, but not necessarilly taller!

Minimum height was 5' 7" Roman. Some units had 6 footers.

They also favored country boys. (hunters and herdsmen)

Also there was an odd desire that they have long, supple fingers. (Dexterity?)
"In war as in loving, you must always keep shoving." George S. Patton, Jr.
caligae + military belt...and think that would fit
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
Proffesional soldiers (Non-REMF) have a special air about them that others do not.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
6 Roman feet being a bout 5'7" - 5'8" if I remember correctly.....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi all,

I wonder if this trait-thing is really helpful in reality. I think we all have certain expectations how soldiers look like, but this seems to me more a product of "Hollywood", as soldier-looking guys are casted to express military. then looking at images of an individual (real soldier) in uniform and the same person in civil clothing the military impression just fades away.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:Caligae? There is a definite mention (Petronius' Satyricon?) about the writer being robbed of his dagger(?) by a veteran who was wearing caligae. I guess that means an unarmed veteran was a tough opponent for a civilian armed with a dagger.

I remember reading about a soldier that got beaten up by a harbour worker too Smile
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Quote:6 Roman feet being a bout 5'7" - 5'8" if I remember correctly

I misstated. It was 5' 10" Roman and 5' 7" in our height. They also had 6 foot (Roman) cohorts.
I wouldn't worry too much about the height since it's an ideal. Nero's so-called 'phalanx of Alexander' may have started off with taller recruits (Suet. Nero 19) but whether the army ever actually imposed the height regulations Vegetius (1.5) or the Theodosian Code (7.13.3) mentions is another matter.

As for what soldiers looked like, I'm with Carlton and Matthew. Some soldiers probably looked like a 21st century perception of what a Roman soldier should have looked like; some probably looked like a 21st century perception of what a Roman clerk should have looked like.
Quote:I wouldn't worry too much about the height since it's an ideal. Nero's so-called 'phalanx of Alexander' may have started off with taller recruits (Suet. Nero 19) but whether the army ever actually imposed the height regulations Vegetius (1.5) or the Theodosian Code (7.13.3) mentions is another matter.

As for what soldiers looked like, I'm with Carlton and Matthew. Some soldiers probably looked like a 21st century perception of what a Roman soldier should have looked like; some probably looked like a 21st century perception of what a Roman clerk should have looked like.

Uhhhhh! This could stimulate quite a discussion. I believe there is a sound proposition that Roman soldiers would have been a picked lot, not just a cross section of Roman society. After all, they were well paid and there were relatively few of them demographically speaking.
So you think only tall people would have made it in?
True, they were required to meet certain criteria, but also they would need numbers to meet emergencies as in the case of the second punic wars.
And short people are quite capable of out-shining taller people in any area, so height would not be a necessity. You just have to beat it into their heads to make them understand it, which takes longer due to the requirement to bring it down to a normal altitude..... :wink:
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:So you think only tall people would have made it in?
True, they were required to meet certain criteria, but also they would need numbers to meet emergencies as in the case of the second punic wars.
And short people are quite capable of out-shining taller people in any area, so height would not be a necessity. You just have to beat it into their heads to make them understand it, which takes longer due to the requirement to bring it down to a normal altitude.....

Well, this makes sense to us, but we are dealing with the Romans. There is this thing floating around about the height requirement. So, what do we do, just ignore it and say it wasn't so, or come up with other objectively viewable data to the contrary?
I think perhaps it was a wish list more than the reality.
Most Romans were smaller than their northern neighbours the Gauls.
Once conquered and allied, the were highly desireable as body guards
i.e. Caesar and his mounted guard.

But the Romans themselves would not have suddenly stopped their citizens from joining the legions be cause they were shorter than the Gauls and Germans.......they didn't need the height to conquere them in the first place......

How tall was Caesar? Tall, for a Roman, but he was probably shorter than most gauls..... 8)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Before this discussion of height requirements becomes too dichotomised, I recall that the male average height during the early Roman Empire was around 5ft 7 inches (1.675 m), to the best of our knowledge, so the height limit set was essentially 'average or over', not a hard requirement in peacetime. No doubt like other limits such as age, in times of war or other recruitment stress, this limit was relaxed, so we shouldn't be too pedantic about it........ Smile
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
I have found that it is best to group soldiers by height.

A tall man with short men to either side is vulnerable to attack from the oblique.... he sticks up!

I would try to arrange the fighters by height, shorter to the front and right, taller to the rear and left.
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mannerisms and Cultural Traits of Romans in General DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS 5 1,964 11-30-2005, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Kate Gilliver