Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signum ?
Is there any evidence for Signum with only one disc?
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
I've never seen any paul, they usually have at least 3 or 4. But again since we don't know what they were for exactly, one isn't impossible?

Legion: TBD
I am considering making a signum with only one disc, and adding others as they are made. :wink:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
That's a good idea.

Three's the fewest discs I've seen in any depiction and seven the most. But certainly since we don't know whether they were awarded (?) singly or in groups, I don't see any reason just one would be 'wrong'...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Ave,

Primus Paulus et al,

Saw your question the other day. Concur wholeheartedly that we have an imperfect understanding of the meaning of the Signum Discs. However, there is a good record in the legionary coinage that depicts all of the multiples known ....to include 1 disc. The site www.romancoins.info has a nice photo section devoted to legion coinage. There you can find multiple examples of Signum with one disc.

Regards from the Balkans, Arminius Primus, aka Al
ARMINIVS PRIMVS

MACEDONICA PRIMA

aka ( Al Fuerst)

FESTINA LENTE
Some cool stuff...saw one of the lower numbered legions had a boat on their signum where the crescent normally goes...neat stuff.

Quote:I am considering making a signum with only one disc, and adding others as they are made.
That IS a good idea, Paul! Much easier than adding them before they are made, says I.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.