Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting errand for our Roman RAT-ers
Hi guys,<br>
Can anyone of you get access to the Catacombs of the SS. Marcellino e Pietro? Apparently a large part of the tombstones of the equites singulares Augusti are there, among them several ones with depictions on them. Any chance of someone going there to take a pic or two? <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
<br>
<br>
Jasper, since you know I'm the only member in Roma, don't be so "soft", ask me for it directly...<br>
<br>
That unit got a "damnatio Memoriae" by Costantinus who desbanded it and destroyed their cemetery... That's a good reason for me to go there and take photos...<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Titus <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
I thought there were some more, honest<br>
Thanks Titus! <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
"That unit got a "damnatio Memoriae" by Costantinus who desbanded it and destroyed their cemetery... That's a good reason for me to go there and take photos..."<br>
<br>
Why? I mean what did they do and how come he destroyed the cemetary, isn't that a bit too much? <p></p><i></i>
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
The Praetorian Guard as a whole fought for Maxentius in the civil war in which Constantine became emperor. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
ok but destroy their graves? <p></p><i></i>
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
<br>
Yes,<br>
<br>
the use of the "Castra Equitum Singularium" of Laterano ceased in 313-315 by destroying it by the sweet Costantinus that built his Church of S Salvatore directly on the pagan "Schola Equitum Singularium" castra and cemetery...<br>
<br>
Vale,<br>
Titus <p></p><i></i>
TITVS/Daniele Sabatini

... Tu modo nascenti puero, quo ferrea primum
desinet ac toto surget Gens Aurea mundo,
casta faue Lucina; tuus iam regnat Apollo ...

Vergilius, Bucolicae, ecloga IV, 4-10
[Image: PRIMANI_ban2.gif]
Quote:</em></strong><hr>The Praetorian Guard as a whole fought for Maxentius in the civil war in which Constantine became emperor. <hr><br>
Did they? According to Speidel, the Praetorians who acclaimed Maxentius were the ones left in the camp while the main force was in the field army with Constantine.<br>
The arch of Constantine shows standard-bearers with Praetorian signa who hold them upright, and according to Speidel are therefore to be seen as part of Constantine's army.<br>
Speidel suggests the Praetorians were not disbanded but re-named. Maxentius had a cavalry unit called the <em>equites promoti domini nostri</em>, possobly the only Praetorians that supported him and who were destroyed at the Milvian bridge.<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)