Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any truth to this?
i have heard that the doctor Luke from the Bible was not Jewish or Roman etc, but Irish. I don;t know where I heard it, nor can follow up with any sources. Something about his real name that was Irish or something. anyone got anything on this? just something I was thinking about today.
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
I always thought Luke was a Greek who converted to Christianity (as his name "Loukas" suggests). Loukas means "from Lucania", the region in southern, Greek Italy. Never heard of him being Roman or Irish. :?

At least Mark is a Latin name (i.e. "Marcus").

~Theo
Jaime
Quote:i have heard that the doctor Luke from the Bible was not Jewish or Roman etc, but Irish.
It may be a spin-off from the medieval (?) legend that Jesus spent some time in England, built his first church over there, and returned to Judaea. There was also a belief that 'ten lost tribes of Israel' settled in Britain.

Please note, BTW, that the author of the Gospel is in fact not known; that he was called Luke is a tradition that does not antedate 150.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Isn't there something about Luke being from the Troad?
Paul Basar - Member of Wildfire Game\'s Project 0 AD
Wildfire Games - Project 0 A.D.
As far as I know, he is only mentioned in Colossians 4.14 (where he is called a physician), 2 Timothy 4.11, Philemon 24. He is assumed to be behind the "we"-sections in Acts - passing through the Troad, for example. According to later traditions, he was born in Antioch.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
My understanding is that Luke was probably a Greek born and educated Jew. It is quite wrong to assume that Jews only lived in Judea, they lived throughout the Empire and many were hellenized. Ironically many hellenized Jews were more receptive in the early days than the devout ones to "The Way" as the early church was called. If you examine Paul's travels you will see that he always approached the Jewish community synogogue first when he arrived in a new city. Sometimes he was successful there, and other times he was run out on a rail and began to teach the gentiles. I do not see any truth or know of any evidence to an Irish origin.

To quote that great accurate Hollywood movie of the medeival days "Knights Tale: Well the Pope may be French, but Jesus was English!"

Just an illustration. :lol:
Actually, one of the Ten Lost Tribes of Israel has been genetically identified as having decendants in Africa. It was a documentary a week or so ago.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
We were re-converting The French and english in the 4-6centery AD but i am sure luke was from greece :wink:
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua
Actually, Luke is mentioned by name in one of Paul's letters. There's no help inside the text on who he is, though Paul refers to him in a way that gave birth to the "doctor" tradition.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Quote:i have heard that the doctor Luke from the Bible was not Jewish or Roman etc, but Irish. I don;t know where I heard it, nor can follow up with any sources. Something about his real name that was Irish or something. anyone got anything on this? just something I was thinking about today.

As far as i know there is no irish version of luke if that is any help to you :?:
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Truth about Rome, and like everything richsc 8 1,922 10-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Augustus Janus
  The truth Hurts!................ MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 8 1,713 01-09-2007, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Primvs Pavlvs