Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Net
He finally started! Tiberius Nemonicus Agricola started his fishing net today during our presentation at The Bowers in Santa Ana.. it isn't much to look at .. yet... made his own netting tools, working on floats and weights, also made some hooks..
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Good man, hope you catch a big fat Blue Fin Tuna!!! If you do please send me a steak Big Grin
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
His seg seems a little out of line, though. Plates all over the place.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Might be, in part, the angle of the photo, but.....

It's tinned, hand chiseled fittings etc, some hand made rivets, holes are drifted through plates and fittings, no power tools, no ruler used to mark locations.. used fingers as rulers and a cord and eyes. It's the first thing he's made with metal. It's the first time he's worn it.

His second one is on the bench, (Everyone in LEG IX usually makes two!) hand hammered plates this time... Going to use tallow and powdered tin instead of a modern tinning flux.

He's not wearing his subarmalis. It's not finished. His seg was patterned with a subarmalis. The shoulders of his subarmalis are padded with pig hair padding.. we'll have pics in a few weeks.. and its hand sewn.

His clothes are hand sewn too.

His net making tools were made with hand tools.

Hope that kind of makes up for any perceived flaws? :wink:

Hibernicus
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

Naw, sorry, looks rather tinny for all the effort. Both left and right shows gaps I would have no problem slicing my hand forged sword or hasta through. Thing about my friendly comment is that a seg's main function is to offer protection by a good overlap of the plates to deflect any blows to the body. So yes, credits for the effort, but no, would rather see a functional armour. Mind you, the subarmalis may make all the difference, as this was the volume the seg was designed for. Which raises an interesting question: was a seg tailored to fit anyway? Considering the state issue and fabrica production?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:He's not wearing his subarmalis. It's not finished. His seg was patterned with a subarmalis.

Having seen this armour in question, in person - I am quite sure that the gapping issues will be no problem, once it is seated over the subarmalis it was designed to fit over.
Adam MacDonald

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org">www.legio-ix-hispana.org
I have already conceded that point, but it does raise an interesting question on tailor made versus "production line" segs. A proper subarmalis would seem a keystone item to get a good fit. So, could we conclude/postulate that the subarmalis had the distinct effect of making a good fit for the "production line" seg, as it is easier to tailor a subarmalis to your shape then it is to tailor a seg?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Robert, you make an interesting point about the subarmalis.. why not start a new thread?
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

It's not really a question troubling me, as I do aux impressions and have no knowledge of segs or their merits. The question just rose to mind as a result of the felt discrepance and the explanation offered, making me wonder about tailor made versus the more probable production line versions.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Bishop believes that soldiers assembled their own segs.
I believe that segs need to be rebuilt annually.. new leather etc..
Makes it likely / probable / reasonable to have a segmentata that's custom fit.

Segs work better, fit better , wear better when they fit well.

You could make up for some sizing discrepencies by changing or adjusting the subarmalis. But reduce padding to make a seg fit? I don't think so.

Another question is how many years of service does a segmentata have when a man joins at 15, 16, 17 or 18? Will the same segmentata fit when he's 20? 27? 36?
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA