Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RMC2 question for Graham - or others
I have been looking into a design for Orbiculi for a new Tunic. I really like the star patterns, but I have a question about a couple of the ones appearing in the artwork in Roman Military Clothing 2 by Graham. Probus in Plate A, and the shield on the cavalryman in Plate F have these stars made up of interlaced squares. However, this pattern doesn't appear in any of the pictures of actual finds in the book. The closest one being the piece at the bottom of page 8 which has the look of a square laid on top of another square, rather than the interlaced outline.

I've fallen in love with the interlaced design. I'm wondering if there is any actual evidence for it, or was this artistic flare in those Plates?

P.S. There is also what appears to be a jewel-facetted style depiction of the same star outline on a disc chape in B&C Roman Military Equipment. Page 203, Figure 128
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.
Quote:I've fallen in love with the interlaced design. I'm wondering if there is any actual evidence for it, or was this artistic flare in those Plates?

Hello Brian.

The interlaced design used in the tunic of Probus is based on one of the earliest tunics displaying the type of decoration we asociate with the later empire. It comes from Palmyra and also forms the basis of the tunic used by RAT's very own Aitor Iriarte. It is illustrated in James Trillings Book The Roman Heritage, copies of which are available on Amazon UK

Likewise the shield pattern is taken from a possible shield design shown on the Roman wall painting at Luxor temple in Egypt. The design is illustrated in Phil Barker's book on Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome.

Hope this helps.
Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
I have used that design for my orbiculi. It worked out very well.
Thanks for the info Graham. I've found someone to do the embroidery for me, but wanted to make sure it was accurate first.
Marcus Julius Germanus
m.k.a. Brian Biesemeyer
S.P.Q.A.