Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dura-Europos photos online
Hi,

I was just doing some online searching and see that Yale has posted a load of pictures from its collection of artifacts from Dura-Europos up in the Yale Art Gallery's collection database: [url:32intg5u]http://artgallery.yale.edu/pages/search.html[/url].

To get at the Dura pictures, in the line DEPARTMENT: pull it down and click Ancient Art and in CULTURE: type dura. This will deliver a gigantic number of photos. If you want to limit the search, keep those previous entries and then type a search term such as armor or lamp or whatever in TITLE:

The photos include pictures of ceramics, textiles, armor bits (an iron scale), scuta and the fresco of Julius Terentius performing a sacrifice to name but a small quantity.

Enjoy,

Lucianus
L.E. Pearson
Briliant site! Many thanks and laudes!
Fantastic- thanks from me as well (and laudes)
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Great site! Thank you very much.

Alexandr
Thanks for posting this link.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Laudes! Confusedhock: Big Grin
Manuel Peters
...a look through 'ancient art', sub-category 'arms and armour' is also fruitful......
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:...a look through 'ancient art', sub-category 'arms and armour' is also fruitful......

Thanks so much for that tip! I only had a little while to browse around when I posted the link. A search on "scale" pulls up a bunch, some in ones and twos and others in long groups all wired together. I was struck yet again by the thinness of the scale. These were in general larger than I had expected many being about 2.5mm x 4.2mm. All very interesting!

Lucianus
L.E. Pearson
Many thanks. All those pottery fragments make me want to start up pottery again... Thanks for the link! 8)
Paul Zatarain
[size=100:m472q49a]Leg IX Hispana CENT I HIB[/size]

http://www.reenactor.net/duplisite/

"What man is a man who does not strive to make the world a better place"
Many thanks! One more laus for you! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Excavations at Dura-Europos bargain at oxbow Crispianus 13 2,897 12-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Dura-Europos: Crossroads of Antiquity D B Campbell 14 4,056 08-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Last Post: starman2012
  "Dura Europos" by Simon James - opinions needed! Virilis 25 7,380 03-14-2009, 07:11 PM
Last Post: C. Apollonius Priscus