Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oldest "living history" parks
Quote:There's Butser Iron Age Farm -- but it's just old (1972), not verrrry old.

Hey, my birthyear is also 1972, so are you calling me old?? :evil:

Well, now that you are mentioning it, my body and mind begin to show some serious malfunctions :lol:

Hans
Flandria me genuit, tenet nunc Roma
Quote:Anything from the nineteenth century in England?

Hmmm.

The Lunt Fort was first set up during the 1970s...

But how about this one?

The Walhalla Temple, modeled after the Parthenon in Athens, but built near Regensburg overlooking the Danube, inaugurated in 1842.

It was meant as a place for the commemoration of great figures and events in Germanic [i.e. "of the German tongue"] history, at the time covering 1,800 years, beginning with the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest (9 AD).

[Image: Walhalla_aussen.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks for your contributions all - but I am really surprised that there is no British candidate yet. We've now collected three German and one French living history park antedating Nijmegen's Orientalis; I had expected that the British (who are in my view much more history-minded than the Dutch) would be there earlier.

Come on, it can not be true that there were no British living history parks before 1972. Knowing the rivalry between Germany, France, and Britain in the Belle Époque, the British can not have left the challenge from the Walhalla, the Pompeianum, the Saalburg and the Kerylos villa unanswered. There simply must be something, or I'll eat my hat.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Come on, it can not be true that there were no British living history parks before 1972. Knowing the rivalry between Germany, France, and Britain in the Belle Époque, the British can not have left the challenge from the Walhalla, the Pompeianum, the Saalburg and the Kerylos villa unanswered. There simply must be something, or I'll eat my hat.
Hope it's a chocolate hat, Jona. Smile

I may have a poor memory, but I simply cannot think of any ancient-world-themed park in UK to rival the likes of the Saalburg.

In 19thC England, the emphasis was on uncovering and preserving the remains of (in particular) villas in the south of England (e.g. Bignor, Chedworth, Lullingstone) and forts on Hadrian's Wall (e.g. Chesters) and the hinterland (e.g. Binchester).

There doesn't seem to have been any attempt to make these accessible (i.e. "understandable") to the public. If you were wealthy enough to make the journey there, you could "ooh" and "aah" at the ruins. Or look at the display cases in the British Museum.

Large-scale reconstructions (e.g. Roman fort gateway at Manchester, Roman fort gateway and buildings at South Shields/Arbeia) are a reasonably recent phenomenon in UK. (afaik)
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:Hope it's a chocolate hat, Jona. Smile [....] Large-scale reconstructions (e.g. Roman fort gateway at Manchester, Roman fort gateway and buildings at South Shields/Arbeia) are a reasonably recent phenomenon in UK. (afaik)
D-mn, and I do not even have a hat.
Jona Lendering
My website
Possibly the early German lead in reconstructing the ancient past is due to the pioneering work of this gentleman.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Quote:Possibly the early German lead in reconstructing the ancient past is due to the pioneering work of this gentleman.
Winckelmann is of course the most influential classicist ever, and then there are the Altertumswissenschaftler of the nineteenth century, and after that, it's essentially over. That may indeed explain Germany's lead; the twentieth century saw a lot of repetition and unnecessary books.

Another factor may be the competetiveness of Germany's three pasts in the nineteenth century: the Roman south and west, the Germanic center and east, and the presumed Greek past. Adherents of all three visions on Urdeutschland may have wanted to build impressive open air museums to make their points.
Jona Lendering
My website
My article was published in Dutch, but if you are interested, here is an English summary.
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Research of Roman road infrastructure in Crimea through living history using Roman me Evgeny 1 78 01-19-2024, 07:31 AM
Last Post: kavan