Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
terminology Q
I'm working on putting together the Latin names for various military items, ranks, etc., for my latest project, and my Latin-English dictionary lists the following entries under "sword": gladius, ensis, ferrum. Now gladius is familiar to all of us, I expect, and ferrum is derived from the term for iron, that much is clear. But I can't seem to find out any more about the term "ensis," and my dictionary only defines it as "sword" in the Latin-English section. Anyone have any more insight to offer me?<br>
<br>
Incidently, it doesn't list sica, spatha or falcata under "sword" and doesn't even list falcata in the Latin-English section... what are these guys doing? Perhaps our own glossarium magister, Sander, might have some insight?<br>
<br>
Incidently, is there anything out there that's sort of like an "OED" for Latin? Even if there is, I might not be able to afford it... but maybe I could convince my school as its worth as its resource.<br>
<br>
Aaron. <p></p><i></i>
The Romans seem to have been very limited in non-technical terms for swords in general. In prose, you have gladius. Then in poetry (or stylish prose) you can have ferrum, or ensis. ensis is the epic equivalent for gladius.<br>
<br>
For all queries like this (I'm a Latin teacher too), I consult Lewis and Short 's Latin Dictionary. It's published by OUP and in its umpteenth edition; it gives citations and derivations, very like the OED. It's $185 on amazon.com. But THE full-on, modern Latin dictionary is the Oxford Latin Dictionary (ed. Glare), available from amazon.com for around $275. I wish my school would buy me one.<br>
<br>
Shaun <p></p><i></i>
RomanArmy.com's Encyclopedia section (very much under construction) contains a glossary of Roman military terms, donated by authoritative member Sander van Dorst. Perhaps this will help?<br>
<br>
Jenny <p>"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances, as though they are realities, and are often even more influenced by the things that seem than by those that are."<BR> - Niccoló Machiavelli, <i>The Discourses</i>, 1517. </p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Thanks, Shaun, that was helpful. And I'll start lobbying my headmaster for a more thorough and authoritative Latin dictionary first thing Monday morning. He's a Latin teacher, too, and a co-author for our primers, so maybe that will make him more conducive to such persuasion...<br>
<br>
I checked the encyclopedia, Jenny, and had checked the glossary in the archives over here, but no dice on ensis; perhaps it's an entry to add.<br>
<br>
Aaron. <p></p><i></i>
Aaron,<br>
The Oxford Latin Dictionary lists "ensis" and Shaun is right about its poetic use. "Spatha" is originally Greek (congate to "spade") orginally meaning a broad bladed instrument for mixing, weaving, or a splint. It was also a broad bladed, double-edged sword. Falcata [FALX + ATUS] is a curved blade, scythed or sickle shaped, and interestingly "esp. of chariots)."<br>
Until you can convince the powers that be that the O.L.D. is a very worthy investment for your school, I also recommend the Elementary Latin Dictionary by C. T. Lewis (Oxford Press, around $25) for everyday explanations, excellent examples like a shorter OLD and commentary. I got mine at Barnes& Noble, widely available and cost effective.<br>
<br>
Wade Heaton<br>
[email protected] <br>
www.togaman.com <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=togaman>Togaman</A> at: 5/23/04 4:30 pm<br></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>I consult Lewis and Short 's Latin Dictionary. It's published by OUP and in its umpteenth edition; it gives citations and derivations, very like the OED.<hr><br>
Lewis & Short is on-line at Perseus -- get with the program you guys! <p></p><i></i>
** Vincula/Lucy **

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Army Terminology Greek-Latin Julian de Vries 3 1,486 10-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  terminology of generalship eugene 0 1,046 12-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Last Post: eugene
  Glossary of Roman army terminology 20 12,803 07-07-2003, 11:33 AM
Last Post: Jeroen Pelgrom