Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial etiquette / displays of obeisance to the Emperor
Avete,

Is there much literary evidence about the 'court' etiquette of Roman Emperors ? Specifically, I'm interested in physical gestures. Do we know, for example, if Senators were expected to bow or genuflect in the Emperor's presence before speaking to him ?

IIRC, the only source I know of is rather late, that being Procopius who mentions that Senators were expected to kow-tow at the feet of Justinian and his Empress and kiss one of their shoes.

But I'm interested in the earlier periods up to and including the Later Empire. I'm sure etiquette was evolving all the time but are there any specific examples ?

Perhaps the writings of Symmachus could reveal something ? Most of his works, afaik, are not translated into english. Sad

(BTW, I'm reminded of the scene from 'Gladiator' when Marcus Aurelius approaches Maximus on the battlefield and the regular legionaries do a little bow in his presence. Nice touch, I thought.)

~Theo

[edited the title]
Jaime
EWtiquette chasnged greatly between Augustus and Justinian, and especialy in earlier times was a difficult and often contentious issue. Foreigners and mnamny lower class folk would, pof course, bow and scrape to the best of their abilities, but a 'good princeps' was suppoesed to treat senators as his equals foir the first two hundred or so years. The story goes Tiberius reprimanded any Roman who called him 'domine'.

The book you want to read is Fergus Millar: The Emperor in the Roman World 31 BC - AD 337. He covers all these aspects and also reconstructs what an emperor actually did all day.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote:Foreigners and mnamny lower class folk would, pof course, bow and scrape to the best of their abilities
That reminds me of Ammianus' account of Valentinian I's death. The Quadi "were admitted to the council-chamber. And as they stood there with bended limbs weak and stricken with fear, on being bidden to tell their mission, they gave the usual series of excuses and supported them by adding the pledge of an oath." (Book 30.6.2)

Quote:EWtiquette chasnged greatly between Augustus and Justinian, and especialy in earlier times was a difficult and often contentious issue...The book you want to read is Fergus Millar: The Emperor in the Roman World 31 BC - AD 337. He covers all these aspects and also reconstructs what an emperor actually did all day.
Wow, the book sounds like a perfect choice. And it still appears to be in print ! It'll be interesting to see how displays of obeisance became more ostentatious over the centuries. Thanks, Carlton. Laudes Smile

~Theo
Jaime
Ave,
yes, thank you for your book tipe :-) ) It would be really good choice for somebody, who is interested in this theme. I have to try a search engine on Amazon if this book is still available. I hope so...

regards
Radka Hlavacova A.K.A Titvs Iventivs Martivs
Tesserarivs Legio IIII FF
Castra Romana, Czech republic
"Concordia militvm"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pilate\'s Household & Etiquette Question Ahavah 8 2,797 11-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Last Post: Duncan Head