Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newcastle (Pons Aelius) Bridge, Vallum and Fort (info needed
Quote:
MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS:bxtqx80b Wrote:Sorry for having overlooked what you wrotte Duncan.
No problem, Yuri. It is a very long thread, and it's easy to get mixed up.

The main points are: (1) the fort probably lay some way behind Hadrian's Wall -- that's our best bet based on the archaeology; (2) the fort is probably considerably later than Hadrian's Wall, perhaps Severan -- again, that's our best bet based on the archaeology; and (3) the fort doesn't appear to conform to our preconceived notions of a fort layout -- the peculiar lay of the land and the probably later date together hold out the possibility that it may not even be rectangular!

That's really why I originally suggested that you choose a "simpler" fort! Big Grin

Hi Duncan,

It will please you to know all of your points have been taken into account in the reconstruction. From earlier discussions, some on this thread and some on others, I have instructed Steve to make the fort square rather than the traditional rectangular, based as you said, on the terrain, on the fact this was a later fort (with the experience on the Antonine Wall to bear) and that extra barrack space may have been accomodated elsewhere.

The fort will roughly be about 50-60 meters behind the wall, I thought it was a rough middle ground to what has been proposed here.

All in all, the fort and bridge and hadrians wall are finished, just need the vicus and the stanegate, which I think could plausibly have extended beyond Corbridge.

Yuri

Messages In This Thread
Newcastle Roman Fort (again) - by D B Campbell - 06-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Newcastle fort - by D B Campbell - 07-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Re: Newcastle fort - by MARCVS PETRONIVS MAIVS - 07-08-2008, 02:44 PM
Re: Newcastle Roman Fort (again) - by Pons Aelius - 04-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Re: Newcastle Roman Fort (again) - by Pons Aelius - 04-12-2010, 01:08 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hadrian\'s Wall "vallum" D B Campbell 17 3,117 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Roman coffin from Newcastle brennivs - tony drake 1 1,266 08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Last Post: le Cavalier Invisible
  Legio XXI Rapax, info needed Sardaukar 3 2,797 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell