Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newcastle (Pons Aelius) Bridge, Vallum and Fort (info needed
Quote:So, much work and one year later, this is what it has come up to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pons_Aelius

Good article. I found some more info on the bridge which you may want to include (O'Connor p.147):

Quote:The eastern end of Hadrian's Wall is at Wallsend, about 3 miles east of Newcastle, on the north bank of the Tyne.
Bruce (1978) suggests that it was originally planned to end at the Pons Aelius, a bridge built by Hadrian across
the river at Newcastle (T29). Work on the present Swing Bridge was commenced about 1872 and disclosed the
massive timber raft and piles that formed the foundation of one of Hadrian's piers. The raft was 10.4m long and 4.9
m wide, with cutwaters at each end. Bruce believed that the superstructure may have consisted of timber arches
like the Danube River bridge of Apollodorus (Section 6.3), but there is no evidence that this was so. Dymond (1961:
158) suggests that one of the timbers that was found may have been a bridge girder like that at Wallasey. The raft
was two baulks deep, each 300mm x 150mm, attached to piles 2 m long. The roadway width may have been about
5 to 6 m (see also Smiles, 1862, vol. 1: 240; Bidwell and Holbrook, 1989: 100).

*{{Citation
| last = O’Connor
| first = Colin
| title = Roman Bridges
| publisher = Cambridge University Press
| year = 1993
| isbn = ISBN 0-521-39326-4
}}
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Duncan.

Which edition of the handbook to Hadrians' Wall does this suggested Pons Aelius fort come from.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:Duncan.

Which edition of the handbook to Hadrians' Wall does this suggested Pons Aelius fort come from.

Duncan i was just wondering that as well!

oh well i'm sure campell will be able to tell us!
Pons Aelius=Mr Jonathan Auty
Quote:Which edition of the handbook to Hadrians' Wall does this suggested Pons Aelius fort come from.
Fourteenth edition, ed. D.J. Breeze, 2006, p. 146. None of the detail was known at the time of the previous edition, ed. C.M. Daniels, 1978.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
The plan shows dotted lines indicating where the walls of the fort might have been, this would then indicate that Hadrians' Wall has to connect with this fort and not as previously stated in earlier discussion as to the fort being to the south of the Wall.

In my Tenth Edition edited by Ian A. Richmond on page 46 it mentions that Hadrians' Wall probably left the north west angle of the Newcastle fort on the line of Westgate Street. There is also mention that the Wall ditch was found in 1934 just north of the Stephenson monument in Westgate Road and from this point it's line is parallel with this road.

If anyone is familiar with the Stephenson monument that is right in front of the Central Railway Station an eastward projection of the Westgate Street from there has to meet this fort.
Brian Stobbs
Hello evryone i have been in close contact recently with The Museum of Antiquities and the archives department of Newcastle City council and they have agreed to show me the information that is in their archives on archaeological digds that are linked to Newcastle and that elusive Archaeologicl Aelina book.

They also said that i was aloud to photo copy any pages that i deamed relevant.
so if their is any specific areas that you would like em to enquire about please message me by the morning of Wednesday the 27th of October!

By the way incase you were wondering how i managed this, my uncle works for the Newcastle council and after a lengthy process he managed to arange it for me.

I hope everyne has a great half term and i will also be visiting the Hancock museum because this is where the finds are know stored=will take pics if i'm alowed to.
hello guys

sorry for the very overdue reply i have a very interesting book on the Fort by the Society of Antiquaties which was published in 2002

i also have several photos of archaeological evidence form the site.

Does anyone know how to get in contact with the Bloke off Ancient Vine because there are quite a few amendments that need doing to his depiction Of the Vicus of Pons Aelius, which i have found out about
Quote:
Pons Aelius:3ot2vm2q Wrote:i was just wondering if you had any plans of the archaeological remains for the fort and military buildings because this is where i am lacking in evidence.
We all are, where Newcastle's concerned! Good luck! :roll:

this plan is out of date=i will scan in the one from the most recent excavations
Quote:
D B Campbell:3s0ohgnl Wrote:
Pons Aelius:3s0ohgnl Wrote:i was just wondering if you had any plans of the archaeological remains for the fort and military buildings because this is where i am lacking in evidence.
We all are, where Newcastle's concerned! Good luck! :roll:

this plan is out of date=i will scan in the one from the most recent excavations

That will be interesting. Mind you, has anyone seen the out of date plan?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:hello guys

sorry for the very overdue reply i have a very interesting book on the Fort by the Society of Antiquaties which was published in 2002

Does anyone know how to get in contact with the Bloke off Ancient Vine because there are quite a few amendments that need doing to his depiction Of the Vicus of Pons Aelius, which i have found out about

Its very good to know you have had access to some new evidence for the site.

While Steve has done the depiction, the article has been written by me with the little evidence I had at the time and a healthy dose of speculation also. I would love to get in touch with you regarding any new information you may have, and I can edit the article accordingly.

Best Wishes,
Yuri
Quote:
Pons Aelius:35m9evxg Wrote:hello guys

Its very good to know you have had access to some new evidence for the site.

While Steve has done the depiction, the article has been written by me with the little evidence I had at the time and a healthy dose of speculation also. I would love to get in touch with you regarding any new information you may have, and I can edit the article accordingly.

Best Wishes,
Yuri

Hello Yuri, i have a really detailed book on the exavations of the roman fort that have been carried out since 1929-2002 and i also have quite alot of evidence on the vicus(town) of Pons Aelius.

what i could do is either condense the info from the book or you can send me a long list of questions on the fort and town which you do not know much about and i will answer each one in detail for you which will help you to update the article and
3D model.

I am from Newcastle and am an Archaeology and Ancient History student and therefore i have access to rather a lot of information and can also visit the local 3 museum where all the Roman Archaeology is kept. I am most weilling to help you out because i think Newcastles Roman History is not tha twell known and needs a bit of an exposey and a bit more information on the net which is readilly available for people who are interested in it. i would suggest that you buy two really helpfull books or i will just read my copies of them and provide you with the knowledge.

All the Best Jonathan=AKATongueons Aelius.
this plan is out of date=i will scan in the one from the most recent excavations[/quote]

That will be interesting. Mind you, has anyone seen the out of date plan?[/quote]

The out of date one (its from 1980) is on here on page 7 it was posted by D B Campbell, in reply to a coment by me a wile ago.

I will scan in the newer plan which is from 2002 of the fort on monday afternoon from p274 of:
ARCHAEOLOGIA AELIANA
(Fifth Series, Volume XXXI)
Title: PONS AELIUS, THE ROMAN FORT AT NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
Published by:The Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle Upon Tyne, 2002
Quote:i have a very interesting book on the Fort by the Society of Antiquaties which was published in 2002
Thanks, Jonathan, but I fear that we have already mentioned the content of that particular volume:
Quote:I am currently holding Archaeologia Aeliana vol. 31 (2002), entitled "The Roman Fort at Newcastle upon Tyne" (Thanks, Ross!), so I can probably shed some light on "who came up with this kind of thinking"!
I posted the most recent (2006) plan of the site six months ago. Do you have something more up-to-date?
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Pons Aelius:16e9j54f Wrote:i have a very interesting book on the Fort by the Society of Antiquaties which was published in 2002
Thanks, Jonathan, but I fear that we have already mentioned the content of that particular volume:
Quote:I am currently holding Archaeologia Aeliana vol. 31 (2002), entitled "The Roman Fort at Newcastle upon Tyne" (Thanks, Ross!), so I can probably shed some light on "who came up with this kind of thinking"!
I posted the most recent (2006) plan of the site six months ago. Do you have something more up-to-date?

Hello there is yours the origional 2002 one or the revisied one (2nd edition which is the one i have got) which was published this year and is a lot thicker and is a heck of a lot more accurate and detailed

Also i have a detailed book on the vicus(town) of Pons Aelius

My Map is Jan 2010, so it is more recent and there are 6/7 things which your one is missing=i checked your one
Jonathan.

I would like very much to see all of the details you have of Pons Aelius, for this discussion has been long and drawn out and I would still say yet that Hadrians' Wall does indeed connect with this fort.
If anyone understands the City of Newcastle and just where the castle keep is in relation to the wall it cannot be otherwise.
Brian Stobbs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hadrian\'s Wall "vallum" D B Campbell 17 3,107 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Roman coffin from Newcastle brennivs - tony drake 1 1,257 08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Last Post: le Cavalier Invisible
  Legio XXI Rapax, info needed Sardaukar 3 2,789 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell