Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplites of the Archaic Age
I know you said that the answer was in the link, but can you post the name of the book please? Thanks in advance!

Btw, Giannis, I found out on Wikipedia that the Arcaic period Began in 750 BC which was a year in the 8th century BC, which means that only the early part of the 8th century was apart of the Geometric Period. If you already know this, then I am sorry for correcting you.
Daniel Haag
Yep,you can put 8th century the archaic age,though before 750 the hoplites were not what we would really call a hoplite today...There are no many finds from the 8th century,let alone that we don't have any evidence of how they really fought. For example,even Tyrtaios,wrote in the 7th century bc,and even he is some times rejected by some schollars as a non accurate source for the hoplite phalanx(wrongly in my opinion)
Carteful with dates.For example you call a 751bc hoplite a "geometric" one and a 749bc one an archaic one! It's ridiculous when it comes to such things. I'd still prefer to use a 7 century hoplite with the name "archaic hoplite" just to be sure that I can imagine well how he would look like and how he'd fight.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Quote:Yep,you can put 8th century the archaic age,though before 750 the hoplites were not what we would really call a hoplite today...There are no many finds from the 8th century,let alone that we don't have any evidence of how they really fought. For example,even Tyrtaios,wrote in the 7th century bc,and even he is some times rejected by some schollars as a non accurate source for the hoplite phalanx(wrongly in my opinion)
Carteful with dates.For example you call a 751bc hoplite a "geometric" one and a 749bc one an archaic one! It's ridiculous when it comes to such things. I'd still prefer to use a 7 century hoplite with the name "archaic hoplite" just to be sure that I can imagine well how he would look like and how he'd fight.
Khaire
Giannis

Hmm, interesting. You do have point, besides the Geometric Period lasted for most of the 8th century. I dont if thats true but it looks that way to me.
Daniel Haag
Thank you for posting the name Gioi!
Daniel Haag
Wow. No one has replied to this at all! Hmmm, interesting.
Daniel Haag
Quote:Wow. No one has replied to this at all! Hmmm, interesting.

:?: :?: :?: :?:
Quote:
sesdelta38:4glvjdzn Wrote:Wow. No one has replied to this at all! Hmmm, interesting.

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Ok, Why did you post question marks?
Daniel Haag
Just to point out that I am puzzled young friend.
I am left with impression that your posts were all answered but you
write that there is no reply.

Kind regards
I know that I might of found the illistrations I was looking for, but I wish that people couls still post illistrations because this thread is very interesting. If Johnny Shumate responds to my thread, I have a wishlist of paintings I want done for the following subjects:

- Illistration of the Battle of Thermoplye

- Illistration of the Battle of Marathon

- Painthings of Mycenaean warriors

- 3rd century AD romans

- Seleucid and other Successer and helenistic armies

- Illistrations of the Battles of Issus, The Granicus, anf Gaugamela

- More Macedonian illistrations please!

- Illistrations depicting the Macedonian Armies of the Macedoniaan Wars

- Illistrations depicting the Roman Armies of the Punic Wars and Macedonian Wars

- Illistrations depicting the armies of the Etruscans and the Etruscan Armies of Lars Porsenna

- Illistrations depicting the Carthaginian Armies

- Illistrations depicting the Armies of Pyrrhus

Dont mean to be greedy but it would be cool cool if you did all of the things I requested above! Thanks in advance. Sorry if it is too much. Its just because your illistrations are cool! Ok, back on topic. So I hope someone responds to this.
Daniel Haag
Some of these paintings have already been done by Johny and other excellent artists. I don't have time just now to point you to those paintings,I'll be back soon with some links to these.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:Some of these paintings have already been done by Johny and other excellent artists. I don't have time just now to point you to those paintings,I'll be back soon with some links to these.
Khaire
Giannis

Yes, I do know that Johnny and exellent artist have painted these and I have seen some of them, but feel free to post them! However, it would be cool if Johnny at least considered the requests in the post my post which is above yours. One more thing. Gioi, you know that illistration of the hoplite wearing the kegel helm and bell cuirass? Where did you get that illistration?
Daniel Haag
Quote:
sesdelta38:ash4jhgd Wrote:
Giannis K. Hoplite:ash4jhgd Wrote:Some of these paintings have already been done by Johny and other excellent artists. I don't have time just now to point you to those paintings,I'll be back soon with some links to these.
Khaire
Giannis

One more thing. Gioi, you know that illistration of the hoplite wearing the kegel helm and bell cuirass? Where did you get that illistration?

Hi

guide me where is it & I tell ya, perhpas is by Rava, a russ illustrator for miniatures... thats the one I have in mind.
Not the one in the fighting seen by Rava, I mean the one that shows the hoplite wearing the kegelhelm and bell cuirass while with the two spears. It was the first illistration you posted in the thread on the 1st page. It also has the picture of the kegelhelm below it.
Daniel Haag
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21386822@N02/2232938375/
Take a look at that. Isn't it excellent,and very interesting? Look in the inside of his shield. Well,the Chigi vase may want to mean something,after all...
I Suppose it's a battle between Achilles and Hector,with the arms of Patroclos,the old arms of Achilles between them.
It says Cycladic krater, c. 640 BCE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21386822@N ... 827642420/
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/21386822@N02/2232938375/
Take a look at that. Isn't it excellent,and very interesting? Look in the inside of his shield. Well,the Chigi vase may want to mean something,after all...
I Suppose it's a battle between Achilles and Hector,with the arms of Patroclos,the old arms of Achilles between them.
It says Cycladic krater, c. 640 BCE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21386822@N ... 827642420/
Khairete
Giannis

Thats a very interesting vase painting. A lot of the vase paintings that show hoplites and warriors dressed as hoplites are very artistic.
Daniel Haag
Greetings all!
I'm new here- This is my first post(actually reply to start with as you can see)
I'll post a formal introduction in the other section soon- but had to jump in on this topic first.

I've been a long time student and scholar on ancient warfare with an emphasis on Greece and the rest of Europe.
I am thrilled to find this thread on a very obscure (but very special to me) period ; I'm so glad to finally see on this site or any other at least one thread devoted to warriors and warfare in the Greek Dark Age (Geometric/Archaic) periods.
First let me ask Comerus Gallus Romus- Gioi-- that wonderful Connolly painting you posted a while back I think was from his "The Greek Armies"- the same one I think was being talked about for a while and may have been the same one you said was also published in that Encyclopedia- the Late geometric/Early Archaic one with the two forces clashing together (if I remember correctly) App. 8th century B.C. ? With Early Corinthians, Argos Panoply based armours, etc.-- seems to have been deleted- could you or someone else please repost it? and let me ask this, as I recently bought an older copy of Connolly's "the Greek Armies" having heard that this plate was in it- It had one new Mycenaean plate and a small second one, with were quite nice, but not this Dark Age one or any others unique to this edition and not in his "Greece and Rome at War" could someone please explain this- was there more than one altered edition of that same title?
Thanks for any help and info.
Glad to be here!
Jon.