Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplites of the Archaic Age
Hello Jon,and welcome. Here's the painting http://www.flickr.com/photos/14366225@N ... 9/sizes/o/
It's not near Geometric times and the panoplies are not based on the Argos cuirass and helmet. Those ones are late Archaic,middle/late 6th century bc. Most of the equipment shown there by Connolly is based on actual finds,many of them now in Olympia museum. Unfortunately I don't have the book the Greek Armies nor do I know where the plate comes from...
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Hi Giannis- and Thanks for the welcome!

I appreciate the painting you posted and I remember it also being in this thread or another one earlier on. It is a good one, esp. for 6th century, - but not the one I was referring to.--- The one I remember was indeed late Geometric or very early Archaic, about 8th century and though I only saw it briefly i was sure it did feature the Argos panoply and other actual rare finds as well as other things on which it was based. I also believed it to be a Connolly plate - it was very high quality and the style was much like his, though it could well have been by another artist I could have sworn it was somewhere here some months ago- does anyone know which one this is and if they can repost it ? I thought it may have been member Gioi- who posted it but it could have been another member.

Thanks for the other info about the Greek Armies book- I wish we could track down the original publication of these and other hard to find plates.
Any more help anyone?
Aha,now that you say it,I do remember something Gioi had posted! But I cannot find it in my archives,wich is very odd. Surely it wasn't this one? http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/C ... rchaik.jpg This is also posted by Gioi and it's from Rava,a Rushian artist.
Be sure that as soon Gioi reads these posts,he'll post the plate again.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Giannis: Hi thanks for that, Alas this is not it either. I saw this one before , Again its very good and very fine work, but not the one I had seen. I think now it is probably the one you say you cannot find- funny I should have mentioned this before- the post in this thread (where I think the Image in question was originally located) had the little blank window- with "Image has been moved or deleted" written there. perhaps that partially explains the problem. I appreciate the reassurance- I'll be eagerly waiting for Gioi to return and repost that great plate.
PS: I found artist Rava's website- he has some very nice stuff- as would be expected from the other painting- but a pretty small selection- are there any further sources for additional work of his or artists working in similar periods?
Thanks.
Again Gioi knows more about Rava,he once pointed me to some high resolution photos of Rava's greek plates. Gioi had uploaded them somewhere. I have some of Rava's plates in greek magazines and some in my pc,but they're too many to post here and since Gioi had uploaded them somewhere,better wait a bit for him to respond.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Giannis: OK that sounds good. If you don't mind me asking though, as it's been a couple of days- do you know about how often Gioi visits/logs on? I got the feeling he's a pretty regular visitor, but was just curious as to how long it might be till he checks in (not meaning to be pushy or impatient). If you happen keep in touch with him offline or elsewhere though and you could give him a "heads-up" it would be appreciated. Again thanks for all your help so far.
Jon.
I think he recently posted in another thread. He must have missed this one...I don't have his e-mail though. From time to time he posts very frequently but must be busy these days.Send him a PM.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Gioi: Hi and thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here. Thank you for re posting these,Giannis was also kind enough to recently repost most of these.But wouldn't you know the main one I was referring to is 'none of these'.They are all great but this one must have been one of Connolly's or a similar artist.It was not the Rava one, or any of these others here now- but I'm sure I saw Argos panoply and/or some armors based on these esp. Ie. the Kegel Helm with High "hemispherical" we could say crest as well as other unique pieces(it had to therefore obviously be primarily 8th century). Also early Corinthians as in the Mcbride plate- yes Ancient Armies by Concord (though some may have been of this style, at least one or more was of the earliest "proto"- Corinthian form) as it Is sometimes known- The type probably is also the kind most reminiscent of late Medieval/Early Renaissance Barbute Helm- so at least 700s B.C. also.- If you know the type I mean.Those were just a few of the features I was sure I saw.
---Please tell me there is no way I Imagined this plate. --As I mentioned a couple of posts back I think this may have come originally from Connolly's "The Greek Armies"- or so I was led to believe ( Irritably it was not in My vintage copy i bought earlier this year, wish I could find out why that is?) and it is not in at least in the current edition of "Greece and Rome at War", but back on point; I think it may have been in that post where you referred the other member to it also being in one or both of those history Encyclopedias- which now has a blank window saying "image moved or deleted" If Im remembering right that might help you to recall the one in question.
I hope this helps.
Thanks for all the help so far.
Jon.
Yes Gioi,I also re,member another plate...Sure it was Connolly and I think it was also a dwel between two early hoplites. One of them carried the old style sword,the descendant of the mycenean swords...I'm troubled why I haven't saved that excellent image in my archives...
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
YES!!! This was it! It wasn't really a dwell but I remembered that sword!
Gioi,is there a plate of Connolly for the batle of Marathon,too? I haven't seen it. Could you post it?
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Believe it or not,Gioi,I hadn't seen that before!!!It has become by favorite Connolly plate,together with the Thermopylae one! It's interesting that he shows the all-plated linothorax from the Achilles-Patroclus vase(with slight variation on the decoration) and that he sows it lined with stitched leather. Would he believe that such all-scaled thorakes were backed with leather?
Thanks for posting
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Aha Success! Yes I can also confirm this was the one. Good for pointing out that sword Giannis. I also remembered that and how much I loved this very rare and not often illustrated type ( I do remember at least one artifact find of this overall type - find place was Kerameikos in Greece if I remember right) I had hoped those other features I pointed out might have been of help too, The Argos Kegel for ex: (Though this was in the Rava one and possibly others too) so maybe not distinct enough. Though the Proto-Corinthian (see main figure to the right fighting the mostly Argos inspired warrior)- was what I was talking about. I like His Early and rare shield; A 'Hertzsprung' or derived type- believed to have originated in Central Europe( I have theorized this type may have become widespread through Dorian contacts with more northwestern regions outside of mainland Greece). I also see a partly obscured Boeotian variety or partly Diplyon hybrid perhaps- shame there doesn't appear to be any true Dipylons though.
As a few important side notes BTW I am of the belief that The Dipylon came in several possible varieties of construction and shape- one construction being more solid and of heavier wood- likely laminated(as opposed/in conjunction to the more widely thought- wickerwork)- as well as altered shape (in the 3d sense) and the degree of convexity- Near flat types are very likely to have existed too.
Thanks so much for finding this again Gioi, and the last Marathon plate; I think I knew of this one- but this may be the first time I've seen it.
PS: Was this in the same place as I asked before, having been in the Encyclopedia/s or elsewhere? (just wondering); And most importantly, What was the original publication in which it was featured?
Thanks again to both of you!
Jon