Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ancients assembly11 report
Greetings global brothers and sisters.
This years AA11 was smaller- only 14 people trekked to Armidale in northern nsw, australia this year. the numbers were way down due to our early medieval festival (armidale easter gathering- search for it on u tube!) was on a week later.
However, this year- there were no real barbarians- which was good as we did not have to share the spitroast suckling boar with them. We had a group from the blue mountains, west of Sydney attend as late romans. they were excellent value and went on to build a small anglo saxon house, kiln and oven while camping in our pine forest. they were also a marvelous help in building our smithy, bridges and longhouse. Their "chieftain", Lee, won the coveted "best Roman or Civilised Person Award" for his efforts, quality of kit and general excellence. The statuette of a hellene is awarded on this basis and the winner takes it home and scratches their name and year of winning it in greek or latin and passes it on at the next assembly.
We actually had our "games" this year. It involved two foot races ( one with shields), javelin. discus and the winner, Iason, broke the tie with skill in a wrestling bout. He was very happy to win 3 litres of "minerva" olive oil. The games were supervised by senator Marcus from the sydney ancients.
I was also happy that all participants partook in the military rotation activity. This involved in small groups rotating between working at the pell, slinging, archery, javelin and metal blade duelling.
Attendees were also entertained by gladiator bouts.
Matt Bryant, who provided some photos of his Hysskos kit last year came with an excellent phrygian war bonnet that was resplendent with a fishlike sail crest on this cap and also a brow reinforce. He enjoyed himself as a gladiator but spent many hours drystone walling and finnishing my bush fort so that it was functional for the following weekend.
I will post some fotos as i get them,
regards,
Richard
Pictures! Pictures!

Late Roman Lee won - was he the cataphract, by any chance?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
sorry
that mans name is warren
he did not attend the ancients weekend but was present at the early medieval weekend sans horse due to australia experiencing a horse flu epidemic.
regards
richard
Ok, my mistake.. Big Grin

But .. anyway ................. pictures! Pictures! :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancients Assembly in Armidale Australia- Report richard robinson 2 1,504 03-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Last Post: richard robinson