Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scutum Edge Dimensions
Salvete Omnes,

My scutum is back on track and I'm ready to do the edging.

My question is on the dimensions of this.

I've found some info of Kaljiese finds suggesting a depth of 1.8mm, but that is not clear if the depth is from (outer) flat edge to (inner) flat edge or (outer) flat edge to lobed section. I'm also being a little acutious about this data as it out of time framt for my late 1st Century Imperial Scutum.

Anyone got any clarification on the dimensions above or even some alternative sources?

Valete
Mark Downes/Mummius

Cent Gittus, COH X. LEG XX. VV. Deva Victrix

They actually varied a LOT Mark- from Vindonissa alone there are examples that are as narrow as about 7mm, not including tabs, and as wide as 20mm, again not including tabs, with several in between, so I'd say you're safe choosing anything in between.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
The narrower the face dimension of the "C Channel", the easier it will be to go around a curve.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
A chamfered edge on the board also helps
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Strip built scutum: edge banding or planed wood? richsc 1 1,095 02-21-2015, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Kasr el-Harit / Fayun scutum dimensions?? Hibernicus 5 2,569 07-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus