Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet crest question
Another random question from me: :oops: Tongue lol:
How were the crests on, for example, merovingian helmets, placed/held in place? I can understand the way "roman" crests work, but just can't seem to figure out how it would work with the later models (with just a tail attached to the top).. :oops: Tongue

@Garrelt: maybe you can tell how you did it at yours? I mean, it wasn't there when you bought it, right? :roll: :wink:

Greetz,
Manuel Peters
Some pics:

[Image: 003a4.jpeg]
Source: Garrelt, Teuxandrii

[Image: helmet_horsemans.jpg]
Source: Medieval Fightclub. (I know it's not such a great helmet, just couldn't really find any better pics at google at the moment :roll: :lol: )
Manuel Peters
About time that i change some details.
:wink:
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Quote:How were the crests on, for example, merovingian helmets, placed/held in place? I can understand the way "roman" crests work, but just can't seem to figure out how it would work with the later models (with just a tail attached to the top)..

Pull a strain of hair, tie it into a knot and pull, then attach the crest holder to the helmet.
Or if you can't pull the hair through the pipe, push it through with the knot not yet tight, then pull to tighten it?

Just some ideas, but I'm sure other methods exist.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Pull a strain of hair, tie it into a knot and pull, then attach the crest holder to the helmet.
Or if you can't pull the hair through the pipe, push it through with the knot not yet tight, then pull to tighten it?

Hm I don't completely get it :oops: , is there anybody who has pics of this? :?

Greetz,
Manuel Peters

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ostrich Helmet Crest Suggestions Doc 19 4,589 04-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Last Post: Gaius Colletti
  How do I make a horse hair helmet crest Naomi Lazarus 3 9,068 03-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Last Post: Forty-One
  Proper Crest for Legionary on Aquincum Helmet Antoninus05 22 7,090 03-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Last Post: Antoninus05