Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pompei style gladii at Kalkriese?
Hi guys,

Someone told me yesterday that Pompei style straight edged scabbards had been found at Kalkriese/Teutoburgerwoud. Is this correct?? I'd never heard that before, and find it quite surprising!

Could anyone give me anymore info?

Many thanks!
Lee
(Lucius)

Legio V Alaudae (Europe)
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.alaudae.eu/">http://www.alaudae.eu/
They are probably talking about this early Mainz pattern piece..

Here's the reconstruction at the Museum und Park Kalkriese..

[Image: TONY_PEEZ_073.jpg]
[Image: various_2367.jpg]
[Image: various_2370.jpg]
The scabbard have straight edges, but there is'nt blade preserved.

Even with straight edges, is not a Pompeii: it has a very long point.

Pompeii gladii have the straigh edges, but with a very short and consequently stronger point.
Plus it could still be slightly waisted within a scabbard like that..

Legion: TBD
First time I have heard anyone say it was a pompeiensis!

I have heard it was more likely a hispaniensis or mainz though, from several people.....actually, that would be another option for my mainz... 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I must say that this sword could not have been a Mainz, nor indeed could it have been a Pompeii. I have in the recent past reproduced this sword, however the one that I made was a Ceasarian type which is of course a thinner and longer blade than a Pompeii. I have since that time had second thoughts on even being a Ceasarian, might it even have been a Parrazonium. The reason it cannot be a Pompeii or Mainz comes from the article I have on the remains of the scabbard, the rivet holes in the cross bands indicate that after the wood and the leather of the scabbard the blade of the sword cannot have been 5cm wide for that is the gap beteen the rivets.
Brian Stobbs
I always assumed that was the scabbard from a gladius hispaniensis, because of its striking similarity to a hispaniensis scabbard (blade included) from Giubiasco, Switzerland (JRMES v. 8, pp. 50-51). Nice piece!

Valete,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
I am of the same belief Brian and Matt, but I think it would suite my Albion Alectus to a T! But then I have a great scabbard for it now anyway... Big Grin

When I get my hispaniensis blade from Mark, I would love to have this scabbard for it! 8) 8)
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I have seen the reproduction as shown in the pics that Adrian has given us, this was when I made a visit to the Kalkriese and did not think too much about it at that time. Then at a later date I also saw the reproduction made by a member of the 2nd AVGVSTA group here in England. This repro' however used the coin that is showing in one of Adrians' photos'. , Indeed I was asked to reproduce the coin for this repro' and of course have made it yet again for my reproduction. There were many coins of Avgvstvs found by Major Tony Clunn in the very early discoveries at this site, however the coin I refer to was found along with the silver pieces of the original scabbard and may have been used in the decoration of this sword. It does appear in the article concerning the scabbard pieces, it is an interesting coin yet again of Avgvstvs but the obverse face has been deliberately rubbed down flat to possibly be applied to the scabbard. If we examine the first photograph that Adrian has put forward this coin can be seen between two of the original silver crossbands, the reverse of this coin shows a Quadriga Chariot and what is most unusual the chariot has yet another four horses and chariot coming out of it. I have researched this coin and have discovered just what the obverse of it is, which I would consider creates yet another puzzle that needs researching further. The obverse has an Eagle Consular robes and a Wreath and above the legend S. P. Q. R. PAREN.CONS.SVO this has all of course been removed, which then gives only the reverse showing this Triumphal chariot however the legend has just worn away here and would have read Caesari above chariot and Avgvsto beneath. The ornamenta or Consular robes are the emblems of the chief power of the state, this is where one has to think just exactly what was this sword.
Brian Stobbs