Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Notitia map
Hi everyone,

I need your help, please.

In the past I have seen a map of the Roman Empire with all of the 'comitatenses'/'mobile field army' units placed in their locations as given in the Notitia Dignitatum. Trouble is, I need it and can't remember where I saw it! It might be in A.H.M. Jones (1964), but I can't be sure.

Anyone have any ideas? :?

Thanks.
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
A.H.M. Jones, The Later Roman Empire, 284-602, Map IV: The Order of Battle of the Roman Army (c. 408 in the East c. 423 in the West).

Sorry -- my scanner's on the blink. Cry
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:A.H.M. Jones, The Later Roman Empire, 284-602, Map IV: The Order of Battle of the Roman Army (c. 408 in the East c. 423 in the West).

Sorry -- my scanner's on the blink. Cry

Thanks for trying anyway: much appreciated!! Smile
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"The Order of Battle of the Roman Army (c. 408 in the East c. 423 in the West)."

Not the most informative map I've ever seen -- not helped by the poor quality of scan! Sad

The key at bottom left (which is a bit smudged) says:

Inside a box
V = vexillatio palatina
[size=75:378w3lgq]V[/size] = vexillatio comitatensis
L = legio palatina
A = auxilium palatinum
[size=75:378w3lgq]L[/size] = legio comitatensis
p = legio pseudo-comitatensis

Outside a box
L = legio / a = ala
c = cohors / A = auxilium
┴ = classis
v = (vexillatio) equitum
Λ = cuneus equitum
m = milites / n = numerus
G = gens
Thanks a lot for that. Despite it's 'poor quality', it's still the only map I've ever seen of its type. Beggars can't be choosers!!

Thanks again
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
I'll second that 'thanks' right here!
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I
Welcome! Big Grin
Hi Sonic,

Quote:Despite it's 'poor quality', it's still the only map I've ever seen of its type. Beggars can't be choosers!!
There is another map although it only shows the Eastern Empire in AD 395. It's from Warren Treadgold's 'A History of the Byzantine State and Society' (a must read, btw).
[attachment=0:z39n8vlp]<!-- ia0 Eastern_Empire_395.JPG<!-- ia0 [/attachment:z39n8vlp]
~Theo
Jaime
Quote:Hi Sonic,

sonic:3gbwmy2d Wrote:Despite it's 'poor quality', it's still the only map I've ever seen of its type. Beggars can't be choosers!!
There is another map although it only shows the Eastern Empire in AD 395. It's from Warren Treadgold's 'A History of the Byzantine State and Society' (a must read, btw).

~Theo

Brilliant! Thanks a lot for that. 8)
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
Speaking of Treadgold, his "Byzantium and Its Army" has a few maps of the same period (come to think of it, they might be the same maps).

"The Byzantine Wars" and "Warfare, State and Society in the Byzantine World" both by John Haldon have a couple great maps of the 6th century.
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I
Hoffmann has a whole series of maps but these are a bit too large to scan...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)