Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vergangenheitsbewältigung
Quote:And once again I am impressed at the depth of knowledge, experience and civility of our Forum.
Funny, I wanted to say exactly the same: that this Forum is really a serious place, where grown up people can discuss serious subjects without the usual online ranting.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Yes, good and interesting discussion indeed.
[size=85:2j3qgc52]- Carsten -[/size]
Quote:
Narukami:2sw580qv Wrote:As Decius points out "...and to award iron crosses as medals again , don't know, it doesn't feel right for me. don't know how to explain, it's just a feeling." I doubt he is alone in this feeling.
Well, but I think it could be part of a more critical West-German attitude (not to be meant as insult!!!) towards military ... I'm from former East-Germany and there we're used to military ceremonies, bestowal of medals and uniforms (police & army) that we're pretty much the same as in the Third Reich.

... Really strange the ambivalence of the GDR looking back :?

this could be true, yeah.
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner
Quote:
Tiberius Clodius Corvinus:xp1mpgx6 Wrote:
Narukami:xp1mpgx6 Wrote:As Decius points out "...and to award iron crosses as medals again , don't know, it doesn't feel right for me. don't know how to explain, it's just a feeling." I doubt he is alone in this feeling.
Well, but I think it could be part of a more critical West-German attitude (not to be meant as insult!!!) towards military ... I'm from former East-Germany and there we're used to military ceremonies, bestowal of medals and uniforms (police & army) that we're pretty much the same as in the Third Reich.

... Really strange the ambivalence of the GDR looking back :?

this could be true, yeah.
A confusion that has at least one beneficial result: historical debate in Germany is of a much higher quality than in other countries. Handbooks of historical theory, in which the nature of hermeneutics and the comparative-causal explanatory model are explained, nearly always refer to debates related to modern, German history, like the Historikerstreit. Every nation has its own type of history - the British excel in biography, the French are the most literature-minded, the Germans are by far the most thoughtful.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
yes. and I find it very important to not stop discussing, thinking, talking about the things that happended in "my" country and the consequences that followed.

"niemals vergessen"
MARCVS DECIVS / Matthias Wagner