Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cupid Gem Question
Does anyone know the original source publication or any other sources for informnation on the Cupid Gem, a ring gem depicting Cupid (Eros?) firing a catapult? I am paritcualrly interested in the location and dating of the find.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
As far as I recall, the original gem is lost, Randi.
DAI have a plaster cast -- it's their photo I used in [amazon]Greek and Roman Artillery 399 BC-AD 363[/amazon].
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
How unfortuanate Cry since it is one of the only three of so direct source images that even hint at how the bases were constructed. (the Column of Marcus Aurelius carroballista and the largest image on Trajan's being the other two). Alan Wilkins describes the weapon as a cheiroballista, but I don't agree. To me it has every appearance of being a traditonal wood-framer. To his credit, he is one of the few who has used this "Itallic A" shape (not to be confused with the helmets, that's just the way it looks) for a base. It would be helpful to have an accurate dating on the find to know where to place this type of base on the evolutionary timeline of torsion artillery. Perhaps it coincides with the advent of the two-levered winch which seems to have replaced the turnstile. That would make sense since the rear of the turnstile weapon would have to be higher off the the ground to allow clearance for fixed arms or to be at stomach level for easy use of removable pins. Longer arms and circular ratchets would give better leverage if the tail of the stock were lower and the operator well above and behind the axle. If anyone has any other referrences to the gem or any associated finds it would be appreciated.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"