Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historical Birthright
Hey guys,
I do not know how many of you out there have heard of the fantasy tabletop rpg/strategy game Birthright, but I started a Byzantine themed version of it some months ago. Obviously, there are no monsters or magic or anything else like it, but I was wondering if anyone else out there has tried something similar with this system.

My campaign (played with four other friends) began in 1073, using an huge map I drew by hand and a few miniatures to represent armies. Perhaps what is so brilliant about the Birthright system is that it really highlights the political intrigue that was so rife in the period (one reason why it was picked), as well as the high degree of replayability and customizable rules system (we really overhauled the battle system to make it faster paced, for example).

In a nutshell, it can play a lot like the total war games, except more of a roleplaying element, more detail, and better AI! I heartily suggest this idea to anyone who wants a deep strategy game that can begin or end whenever one wishes and has near infinite possibilities.

Thanks for reading!
John Baker

Justice is the constant and perpetual wish to render to every one his due.
- Institutes, bk. I, ch. I, para. I