Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Torques construction
Making these will require anealing, especially if compunding the twists. Wire, if not copper (er, if yer gonna plate it) or gold, usally comes too hard to get a good twist from the get go. Probably not a problem if using gold, though I haven't used gold to know for sure. I have a nice bronze one that is made with two 3/16" octagonal bars that are twisted, but in truth I would rather have an iron torc. Iron jewelry is just cool. Folkert is right, that silver isn't all that common except in a few areas, and their styles are different.

There's lots of good resources out there on the subject. If you can read German, try this:
Adller, W. 2003. Der Halsring von Maännern und Goöttern : Schriftquellen, bildliche Darstellungen und Halsringfunde aus West-, Mittel- und Nordeuropa zwischen Hallstatt- und Völkerwanderungszeit, Bonn: Habelt.

The bibliography will give you a good start on current publications on the subject.
Lugorix

aka:  Jeffrey Adam Scharp
Thanks all for the replies. I think I will go with the brass.

As mentioned I was able to twist some strands together. Now the strands must be annealed to get them into one large torque.

Were Roman torques bronze/brass, silver or gold? I see that the Celtic as mentioned were mostly bronze then gold.

Paolo
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Torques Ingvar Sigurdson 5 2,514 07-31-2011, 03:03 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus
  Shoulder torques Marcus Mummius 4 1,729 04-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius