Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charlton Heston (1924-2008)
Charlton Heston, famous in particular for his portrayal of ancient historical characters, has died. He was 83. Latterly noted for his extreme Republican views, he should be remembered as a champion of freedom of speech, an opponent of racism, and a fine actor.

Obituary: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/2496037.stm

Edit: Just noticed David already posted an obituary over here.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Duncan wrote:

Quote:he should be remembered as a champion of freedom of speech, an opponent of racism, and a fine actor.

Indeed. He was a fine actor and I had the privilege of seeing him on stage in 'The Caine Mutiny Court Martial'. Sadly I never got to see him in any classical role.

His book 'In the Arena' has many amusing anecdotes on Romans, Movie epic costumes and camels that would appeal to RAT readers.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Yes, quite sad news.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Latterly noted for his extreme Republican views, he should be remembered as a champion of freedom of speech, an opponent of racism, and a fine actor.

I did not agree with his stance on guns, but he spoke out against discrimination in the 60s when it could still cost you dearly. That counts in my book a lot more. I liked his larger than life roles like in El Cid. As with Paul Newman, he was so long around that it is still hard to find he is not there anymore.
Stefan (Literary references to the discussed topics are always appreciated.)
Well, his stance was right on guns really...so I can't fault him there either.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I did not agree with his stance on guns, but he spoke out against discrimination in the 60s when it could still cost you dearly. That counts in my book a lot more.
My favourite picture of Heston isn't Moses, or Ben Hur, or El Cid. It's this one, from the New York Times (1963):
[Image: 22714494.JPG]
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I wonder what the third message meant. In what way could they possibly relate communism with racism?
Its possible to connect any oppressive regime with racist polices. The "Father" of Communism was openly anti-Jewish, even with his Jewish background.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
Quote:The "Father" of Communism was openly anti-Jewish, even with his Jewish background.

Was he? Btw in Constantine's basilica at Trier, there is a book on a table at the entrance which holds the conversion papers of Marx from Judaism to Christianity - dated AFAIK to 1817, at the age of 3.

Perhaps the line runs like "Hit communism by hitting racism".
Hard to be sure about the left part of the sign, so it's hard to comment.

Those signs are hand lettered. Three of them professionally. Good job, that. Remember, this was before computer vinyl letters and large sized prints from your inkjet...
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I think it might be 'fight communism by fighting' ? just a guess.... Smile
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I think GJC is right-- it looks like "Fight Communism by Fighting Racism" to me, too. The top quote is " 'We will bury you' - Khrushchev". I honestly don't know off the top of my head how they are related. Except maybe in a sort of "they hate us for our freedom" kind of way.

At any rate, his energy devoted to fighting discrimination always made me smile. His energy devoted fighting for guns kinda scared me. But his energy devoted to the fight against talking apes was where we really connected on a soul-to-soul level.
AKA Chris Walters
Madison, Wisconsin USA
Take it to the OT guys, this section is not the place for such a discussion, only to mourn the dead.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Or celebrate the life of those past? ( :o shock: Hmmm, the Irish in me coming out .....)
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J. K. Anderson (1924-2015) D B Campbell 0 3,011 11-21-2015, 06:02 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Robert A. Markus (1924-2010) Robert Vermaat 0 2,307 12-15-2010, 09:27 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat