Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
paper on face masks
A free paper on face masks can be found here:
http://uwepeltz.de/pages/veroeffentlich ... masken.pdf

Hanel, Peltz & Willer
2000 Untersuchungen zu römischen Reiterhelmmasken aus der Germania inferior. Bonner Jahrbüche, 200, pp. 243-274.

Cheers,

Martijn
Many thanks for posting a link. This is a really nice addition to the research on the Nijmegen and Xanten helmets from last year.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Yes, great! Thanks, Martijn.

Quote:This is a really nice addition to the research on the Nijmegen and Xanten helmets from last year.
I'm just adding the links to have it neatly on one place...:

Willems, W.J.H., 1992. Roman face masks from the Kops Plateau, Nijmegen, The Netherlands. Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies, 3, p.57-66.

Enckevort, H.V. & Willems, W.J.H., 1994. Roman cavalry helmets in ritual hoards from the Kops Plateau at Nijmegen, The Netherlands. Journal of Roman Military Equipment Studies, 5, p.125-137.

Greetings
Alexandr
Quote:Yes, great! Thanks, Martijn.

Quote:This is a really nice addition to the research on the Nijmegen and Xanten helmets from last year.
I'm just adding the links to have it neatly on one place...:

Those are published in 1992 and 1994. I meant the 'Achter het zilveren masker/ Behind the silveren Maske' paper of 2007. There has been a big research on a big range of face-mask helmets in 2005/2006/2007
ALA I BATAVORUM
Ah, I see. I vaguely remember someone had posted the above links (or at least link to that repository) before and therefore I thought you were referring to the old post... :oops:

Is the article from 2007 online?

Greetings
Alexandr
Quote:Is the article from 2007 online?

As far as I know it isn't. But here you could find a pdf file with the textplates of the exhibition in Museum het Valkhof, Nijmegen (NL) and Rheinisches Landesmuseum, Bonn (DE) about this research and the researched objects. Big Grin (6.2 MB)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Thank you, Jvrjenivs. I'll look at it.

Greetings
Alexandr
What is the story behind these masks? Ceremonial or were they worn into battle and by which side? TIA and all the best, Jon
Jonathan Nikitas

"Et tu Brute?"

Quote:What is the story behind these masks? Ceremonial or were they worn into battle and by which side? TIA and all the best, Jon

Hi Jon,

Thats a widely discussed thing. Some tell us they're parade armor, others think they are also for battle use. As for the Nijmegen masks (first century AD, Auxilia cavalry), recent research (in the book I mentioned earlier) they state that these masks were made strong enough to use in battle so, they would be for battle use. Also, we could see the mask is attached to the helmet by a single pin (additional to this you close it and fasten it with a piece of leather), so you could easily remove the mask from the helmet and wear it without helmet.

There has also a masks been found at battleground. Some say that's the evidence they were used in battle. You could also attach it to you belt in battle. We don't know.

This all handle with first century face-masks. I don't know the sources for 2nd an 3th century examples, but as far as I read there more people choose to name it parade armor.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Ah ok thank you very much! I can see how it would definitely mess up ones peripheral vision in battle but I can also see the psychological aspects of wearing it into battle. To me the masks are slightly eerie and the fact they block all emotion I would not like to face someone wearing one as I wouldnt be able to tell if he was scared or tired etc. All the best, Jon
Jonathan Nikitas

"Et tu Brute?"

Thanks for these links, some articles were new to me.

It is impressive to see someone on a horse comming at you wearing a helmet like that.
http://www.timetrotter.de
We did a show with them last year (2007).

True you can't see his facial expressions.
On the otherhand your opponent can't see what you are looking at.
View is good, hearing is ok.
It can be really hot and you can have a problem with breathing.
I wore such a helmet during a show in Eindhoven on horseback in 2006 .
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae